Henna colour

Has anyone here use this product to color your hair? I heard is good for you and do not damage your hair as much as other products do but I am completely lost about it. When to a site and they sell powders and stuff and I am wondering if they come as the regular coloring kits. Any help will really appreciate

Alisim

Asked by Alisim at 3:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Beauty & Style

Level 69 (2,375,393 Credits)
  • If you are just using plain henna and not a henna color kit, it washes out quickly. I have to use it every 2-3 weeks to keep my grays colored. Give it a shot.

Mix the henna powder with hot water to about the consistency of yogurt. It will give a darker red, you can add lemon juice to get a lighter red. I use half a lemon for a coppery red. Let the mixture sit at least an hour and up to overnight to release the natural dyes from the henna leaf powder. Apply to clean, damp hair in sections just like with a dye kit. For a richer color and deeper penetration into the hair follicles, cover with a dye cap (or I just use a plastic shopping bag) and use a blow dryer to heat your head for the first 20 minutes or until it feels good and warm. You kind of have to experiment with how long to leave it in. I have dark hair so I leave it on for about an hour. It gives a rich, coppery auburn tone to my brown hair....
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:27 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Here's the downer with Henna. Once you use it, it's not compatible with any other color. It won't take, I've seen patchy color, and I even saw someone's hair start smoking when they tried to color over it. It's natural, but not always the best. As a professional I can name off hundreds of very safe ZERO damage coloring products for your hair.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I've only ever used henna for henna tattoos. I can't say I'd be willing to try it on my hair.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 4:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It damages your hair. I used to use it a lot when I first went gray.Just dye your hair every 4 weeks. The wash out kind is not healthy either.It has products besides peroxide that damages your hair.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Positives about henna: Some can be healthier for your hair..

negatives: you can't strip it out.. once it's in it's in and you are stuck with it, you can't color over it.. like I said, once it's on, it's on and that's it.
    There is fixing it once it's done so you better be darn sure you like it.

Colors of henna are very limited

Using a permanent color (that isn't henna) can always be stripped away if you dont like it, or corrected, comes in a large variety of shades, and if used properly, doesn't have to be as damaging to your hair. (example: if you are staying the same level, just toning or covering grays, or going darker, don't use a box.. a box has 20 volume and you rally only need a 10 volume).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• and there are plenty of permanent colors that can be healthier for your hair as henna.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The stuff that comes in the henna coloring kits is just as bad for your hair as any other coloring kit. I just get powdered henna leaf which is a natural conditioner as well a coloring agent. It does take a little practice to use.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Riorgrrl -Can you recommend me a website that is good for first timers lol?
    Alisim

Comment by Alisim (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• noooooooo i havent
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• reminder: just because something is 'natural' does not make it good.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:17 AM on Aug. 31, 2010