Hermeneutics

Do you practice it?

For those who don't know, hermeneutics is the science and art of making sure that the message is accurately understood. It is looking at the context and culture during which a piece of literature is written when trying to figure out the meaning of the literature.

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 3:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I try but not proficient in it. Id love to take some courses in this though.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• yes, I studied theology in undergrad and grad school. learning to read the original biblical languages was hugely influential on my understanding of scripture
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I do believe strongly in reading texts within the contexts of their history/culture/language/etc... I believe that a work can only be completely understood in that light... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes, I do practice that. And I agree with bandgeek.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• That sounds like my Advanced English Lit class in my senior year of High School. Is it?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i took a course called Hermeneutics in college and it was an eye opener (even tho it was a Christian university). i find it to be EXTREMELY important to anyone who wants to know their faith instead of just accepting their faith (the idea not the actual course).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:38 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i never have
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2010