Have you had or known anyone that had an intrasex child?

I saw a show on TV that said 1 in 1500 infants are born with ambiguous gender. I had high dose steroids while I was pregnant and knew I could have a girl that would be born looking like a boy. When my baby was born they did testing to make sure he was a boy. It seem like it is common enough that we should hear about it more.

Gailll

Asked by Gailll at 3:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not that I know of. But I think it is pretty common for people to try and hide it. With the gender roles having such importance in this society, I think it would be hard not to.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I had a cousin who was born like this. He lived to be 15, and it was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Back then, he was called a morphodite and he had genitals of both sexes. His parents were some of the best, and I have always greatly admired them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Why did you have steroids while you were pregnant?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Interesting. Didn't know about this
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• intrasex,..what does that mean?..sorry i've never heard the term...i don't know if its the same thing, but i went to school with a boy (he was quiet a few years older) that had male parts, and had a mentsrual cycle, and a few other female characteristics..i don't know if it had anything to do with it, but he was also special needs.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 3:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• no, but I cared for a boy baby with man size testicles...we had to use a really big diaper to get his gonads to fit. no big deal.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Never heard of intrasex
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I had steroids because I developed really bad asthma and kept getting pneumonia. I was in the hospital most of the last 4 months of my pregnancy and had to be on IV steroids a lot of the time. I had pneumonia when he was born. I got pneumonia and septicemia again about 4 weeks after he was born. This was 22 years ago. They sent my blood off to Mayo Clinic and I found out I have an adult onset genetic immune deficiency disease. I get IV gamma globulin every 3 weeks to prevent infections. All 3 of my children and my grandson have the same disease.

Gailll

Comment by Gailll (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Babies are born with both boy and girl parts, or boy genes and girl parts, girl genes and boy parts, or other mix-ups. It can be because of genetic errors or because of hormones from the mother or the child. It used to be parents decided when the child was an infant what gender to make the child and the child would have surgeries. Well these infants are now adults and some are mad because their parents picked the wrong gender. Now thinking is to not do surgery until the child gets older or even wait until the child is an adult to pick.

Gailll

Comment by Gailll (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I've heard of this before, but never that it was that common.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010