What is the best way to transition a baby form a bottle to a sippy cup?

Is there a better sippy cup to use that may be more bottle like to start with? My son is 12 months and has been using a bottle and a sippy cup for about 4 months now. I just have a feeling he is going to miss the bottle at night time. I just dont see him laying down and drinking from a sippy cup at bedtime. Thanks for your suggestions!

Mom2Brock

Asked by Mom2Brock at 4:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just went cold turkey with my kids. I would start with the beginners sippy cups with the soft spout
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Sorry I forgot to add that you have the find the one you baby will love. It took me 4 tries with my daughter to find one she liked and 6 tries with my son. Both of them have different cups
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• mayeb I should just give it a try and see how he handles it, maybe it is just me who "needs" him to have the bottle!
    Mom2Brock

Comment by Mom2Brock (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We used the rubber nipple sippy cups at first. Then my son started chewing on them and they would leak. But that was how we transitioned. There's one (I think it's Nuby) that comes with 3 different types of nippes you can use. One is like a bottle nipple, one is like a sippy cup, and one is like a a straw but they are all rubber and it really helps.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Start giving him sippy cups at meals. At night give him a sippy cup of milk before bed and see he handles it for a couple weeks. Then put the sippy cup in the crib with him.
    soccerfanatic13

Answer by soccerfanatic13 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I gave my first daughter the silicone top cups... they are made from the same material as bottle nipples.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I did it slowly. I still offered my breast or a bottle upon waking, but offered a sippy cup during a meal/snack. Then soon offered just the sippy. he did great! we never did well with the straw sippies. Even at age 2 he still tips them up like a regular sippy.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I give my son 18 months baba's and sippy cups. Although I've breast feed him from birth (and weening slowly) I've just started only giving him sippy cups and he doesn't seem to care. No big deal at all.
    peppermintkathy

Answer by peppermintkathy at 5:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• With my son he was still on the botle until he was 14 months... we started with offering the sippy at meal times but he was still given his bottle... with time we started giving only the sippy during the day and a bottle before bed... and then we did a bottle before bed only if he asked for it... if he didn't notice then we didn't give it. Eventually he didn't need a night time bottle and that was the end of it. We did not try to replace it with a sippy... at this age they don't need something before bed, it's more just a habit.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Good point, I just think that he "needs" something before bed because he has always had something! Thanks ladies!
    Mom2Brock

Comment by Mom2Brock (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Aug. 31, 2010