If someone you knew had a drug problem in the past, but has been living their life right for many years, would you still judge them?

Are they a bad person, do they lack moral fiber? etc

Asked by Musicmom80 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• Lacking "moral fiber" would be someone who intentionally hurts themselves and others and does not care or try to change.

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• you watch people you love struggle daily with their demons and you let go of your judgement. we've all got demons, an addict just has different ones than you might.

Answer by mellypoo at 4:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• the past is the past.. we have all done stuff in our past that we are not proud of.. some worse then others but either way its the past.. if he/she were on the right path now then that would be awesome and no i would not judge them

Answer by turtle07 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• No I would not judge... they got their life together and are finally living in healthy actually they probably have some wild stories to tell from back in the drug days

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would not judge. I was very close to someone who had a drug problem in high school. That is unfair to judge at that age.

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm interested to hear what people think! I know some of the nicest, most wonderful people who used to use and they seem better grounded and less judgemental than some "straight" people.

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• no, not as long as they were putting effort towards trying to change for the better and staying on the good path. If they relapsed but got help right away I wouldnt judge them either. We all make mistakes and sometimes get back into bad habits, but as long as we pick ourselves back up and continue trying, I'll emotionally support them.

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• No, no, and no. People get into drugs for various reasons. If they can find a way out, I believe they've changed and deserve respect for that.

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I was wondering what people really thought, because I've seen people make comments. Or some people assume you didn't care about life or something or didn't love anyone or care about anyone just becaue they never tried it themselves.

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would try not to judge them. But just like them I am human to so I may judge naturally. I would just keep my 3rd eye open on them and let them recover. If you judge them and they find out it may lead them back to bad habits. People with past addictions need to live in an environment that they can leave that behind. It takes time.

Answer by Seterah1010 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010