I am 20 years old and I have 7 week old baby boy, and he likes to be awake from the hours of 12am to 4 or 6am. how can i get him on a schedule or do i have to wait until he is older sand just deal with it right now?

DRCsMommy82308

Asked by DRCsMommy82308 at 1:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ok.. it's waaay hard to get new babies on a schedule.. but i heard an old wives tale to flip your baby backwards 3 times and it will adjust their inner "clock".. *do at your own risk!*. hold him in front of you with his feet on your belly, and a hand under his neck, slllooowly flip him backwards .( like he is doing a back flip).. have your SO help you.. do it 3 times... I SWEAR to you it helped me... maybe it is just a mental thing.. my cousin told me to do it... b/c it worked for her... i know this sounds crazy
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 1:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• my son lasted with that messed up vampire schedule for 3 yrs now. He's 3 right now and he sometimes sleeps normal but most of the time he'll be awake all night till 7 in the morning or sometimes he can even go 24 hrs being awake, its crazy. I've tried training him to sleep like a normal child but its so hard, even if we turn off everything he'll still be up in the dark looking up at his glow in the dark stars. we even tried to wear him out by taking him for walks, parks, etc and he's still so full of energy. He has an appointment next month to see if he's got autism because relatives tell me that being awake all night is not that normal. So hopefully its nothing serious. Just keep on trying to turn off everything and tell him mimis maybe he'll listen if u're lucky=]
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 1:36 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• For now...you havve to weather it. Schedules are for buses, not for babies. Sleep when he does sleep and let things go.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:48 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My daughter swore by the turning your baby counterclockwards method...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 2:10 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I never tried acrobatics with my son. Dang. Must have missed that one. lol!
    But seriously, you just have to deal. Just remember, the first three months are the toughest. Get through those and you'll make it! Good luck! I hope you get some sleep!
    amaydaisy

Answer by amaydaisy at 2:48 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• It is hard to figure out what is right and wrong when you are a new mommy and have no sleep, babies are pretty much on their own schedual but you can help it along a little, if your baby sleeps more during the day than night than the days and nights are mixed up, you can try to start keeping him awake more during the day, talk a lot more carry him more, just more active and then at night it should go a little better, but really for the first three months sleep changes a lot.
    mommygirls2

Answer by mommygirls2 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• MY DAUGHTER WAS LIKE THAT EXEPT SHE NEVER SLEPT FOR 4 YEARS, SHE EVEN WAS THE CHILD THAT NEVER NAPPED, WE WOULD PUT HER DOWN AT BEDTIME AND NOT 11/2 TO 2 HOURS SHE WOULD BE READY TO GO AGAIN. IF SHE NAPPED OR FELL ASLEEP IN THE CAR FOR 15 MIN SHE WOILDNT FALL ASLEEP UNTILL ABOUT 1AM. IT WAS EXHAUSTING. I WISH I HAD CAFEMOM BACK THEN. WIVES TALES ARE THAT TALES BUT IF THEY WORK ITS WORTH TRYING. WE ALWAYS LAUGH KNOW ABOUT THE 4 YEARS I FELT LIKE I NEVER SLEPT, I HAVE TO ADMIT THE FIRST TIME SHE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT I WAS UP ALL NIGHT CHECKING ON HER.
    sdeignan

Answer by sdeignan at 10:45 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I have been lucky so far with my 9 week old twins.. they seem to sleep well at night, only waking up for feedings. Sometimes they think 4:30 is play time though. I just keep them up as much as possible during the day, mostly in the after noon.. lots of tummy time and less sleep. I also use the car seats to put them to sleep.. rock them with your feet.. your toes will cramp.. but I swear it's a life saver!
    LizMomTo4Girls

Answer by LizMomTo4Girls at 12:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• It's extremely hard! Just keep all of the lights off and don't talk to him when he wakes up at night. if you don't get him stimulated by the lights and the sound of your voice and any other noise he will get bored and go back to sleep sooner. It may take a little while but it will work eventually.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 5:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• my son never even took naps either:( because if he ever did it was probably at the most 15 minutes and that would keep him up for another 24 hours, its crazy!
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 4:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2008