my son does not listen to me and i dont know know what kind of punishments to try cause it seems like nothing works. any suggestions?

i have tried spanking, grounding, time outs, and naps, he is six years old and just wont listen to me.

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• great question, i have the same problem with mine, he is 6 years old i have tried everything and nothing works so thanks for asking this question it will help me too,sorry i dont have any advice for you but i know exactly how you feel and its good to know that we are not alone,good luck.

Answer by YAJALEX at 4:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My son is 6 yrs old also and he doesn't listen to me as well. One day I sat him down and asked him why he doesn't listen, he told me that it was because I treat him like a baby. In my eyes he is still my baby. I then told him that if he wanted me to talk to him like he was a big kid then he had to act like it. It has worked so far but every kid is different. Hope I helped

Answer by shellygail at 4:32 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• community service. make him do chores. worked for mine.

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Try a naughty mat, it will be his and only his one minute for each year. Warn him that if he does not stop what he is doing it's to the naughty mat, then stick to it. It can roll up and go with you everywhere too. The dollar store sell little carpets and he can go with you to buy one. I call this planned punishing, include him in the plan, most of all use it everytime.

Answer by rosetoes at 2:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• We use 1,2,3..Magic. It is a time-out program that really works. It was developed by psychologist Thomas Phelan. The video seems a little hokey, but if you stick with it, it is pretty helpful. My problem is I don't always follow it the way I should. The website and seminar schedule is on

Answer by twogirlsmom02 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I think the things you are doing as punishment aren't working because he doesn't care. Take away something he really cares about. You know what his favorite 5 things are, write them/ draw them w/e and glue magnets to the back. Put them on the fridge out of reach, take something away everytime he does something wrong and give something back everytime he does something great. Obviously you have to take the actual toy away too, but if he sees how good hes doing versus how bad hes doing it will register faster. I used this method on my sister, I raised her from the time she was 5, and it worked for me. I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

This has helped me a great deal!

Answer by Sammieanne at 10:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• i find a smack upside the head does the trick. Maybe a lil rough but the shock factor works wonders

Answer by Sky480 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2008