Sleep question....

Here is the problem...sorry it is kind of long!

I am having a hard time getting my 12 month old to sleep. I have done a few thing wrong for the beginning. I nursed him till around 2 weeks ago. He has always woke up ofetn through the night (3-4 times) and while I was nursing he always lached on and acted hungry so I assumed that was why he was waking. I always let him nurse on demand and therefore he slept in bed with me. I know, I know bad habit to start, but there was no other way for me to get any sleep (I also work full time). So now that I have stopped nursing him I am noticing that he is NOT hungry whne he wakes up because he refuses a bottle...but he need ME and ONLY ME, so comfort him and put him back to sleep. I do not pick him up or take him out of bed but I rub his back or snuggle him and he will go back to sleep. I have been putting him in his bed once he is asleep at night and it only last about 45min to an hour

Mom2Brock

Asked by Mom2Brock at 4:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• are you against keeping him in the bed til he's ready to go in his own bed, like when he's old enough to get that he has his own place? My girlfriend co slept and her son is 2-1/2 and she just one day made HIS bed and he asked what she was doing and she said making your bed because you are a big boy so you can sleep in here now - she got him a tv since they were used to falling asleep with it on and it basically worked like that - granted he is great with transition and change ... but just a thought.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Well if you did things wrong then so did I. My kids both slept with us (coslept safely) and nursed on demand including comfort nursing at night. Unlike you I did not fore them to wean before they were ready though. Both my kids nursed well beyond 12 months old. Truly I would suggest just continuing cosleeping. IMHO they will leave your bed when they are ready and that was around 3 years for both my kids. They started sleeping much better around 12-18 months though (still in our bed and nursing though). Good luck and sorry I can't help much.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You did nothing at all wrong. It all sounds perfectly normal. Continue nursing if that works for you to get him back to sleep and to stay asleep. It's very, very common for one year olds to continue to need help back to sleep... when the option is between rocking/patting them back to sleep and nursing back to sleep... which will get you the most sleep? That is the goal here, he will outgrow needing help to sleep with time. Usually around age 2 they are better at putting themselves back to sleep.

You can't replace the comfort he gets from nursing with a bottle... that's why it doesn't work. Pick him up, rock him... sing to him. He's only little this once and these moments will be gone before you know it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• thank you all so much maybe I will start nursing him again! I do cherish the moments that we had nursing and get very emotioinal when I think about being done! I would not change anything thus far but would like my bed back...But I do think I would miss that too!
    Mom2Brock

Comment by Mom2Brock (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010