Boys and yeast infection???

This may sound really stupid... But my cousin has twin boys a month old today... One of the babys has a very bad diaper rash.... She has been using Desitin, Butt Paste, and even a prescription diaper rash medicine an it just seems to get worse everyday... I know sometimes in lil girls its a yeast infection... My question is Can a lil boy have yeast infection on his bottom? Is that possible?

PawBecca

Asked by PawBecca at 1:56 AM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes!!! especially breast fed babies.. does he have thrush?
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 1:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• my little one had it a few weeks ago, and i was told it had to do with his pretty bad case of thrush.. poor baby..
    VictinaG

• No he doesnt have Thrush.... We feel so bad cuz he cries so much when we change him....
    PawBecca

Answer by PawBecca at 2:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• poor baby... it could still be yeast.. i would def take him to the dr... let it air out sometimes too...
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 2:05 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Yup, my son has gotten yeast infection twice now, he's 9 months old. He doesn't have thursh either. I didn't know those two are connected.
    I knew it was something different than a normal diaper rash because it was spotted and like raised bumbs.
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My Grandson recently had one they are very painful. The nurse said to use the anti-fungal cream and no baby wipes. She also had us hold his bottom over a basin and rinse with warm water at every diaper change and we put (I think) Maalox on the rash. It is a bit of work but clears the rash up quickly.
    From babycenter.com
    As you may have noticed, diaper creams won't help cure a yeast infection. What your child needs is a topical anti-yeast or antifungal cream such as nystatin, clotrimazole, or miconazole . Some are available without a prescription at the drugstore.
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• yes, my son had it. you can talk to the doctor and they can give a perscription. we used it for three days and it cleared up so fast. Also... my twin nephews would get really bad diaper rash... almost to the point were it would bleed, they found out that they were allergic to an excess of iron which was in their formula.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:17 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My boys were always yeasty! A Rx will clear it up quickly. Nystatin or the like. We never experienced thrush in our house, though....just on their bottoms.
    Very common and very easily fixed!
    preshies5

Answer by preshies5 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Thanx u ladies so much... I have passed on your advice... I will let u know how it does... Thanxs once again....
    PawBecca

Answer by PawBecca at 1:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Hi mama! Poor baby! Have her try no diaper time and air out their bum - but if things just keep getting worse or not improving and the Dr has ruled out an infection - then I would give cloth diapers a try - the baby may be allergic to the chemicals in the diapers. Please PM me and I can get information to her about cloth diapering - also, I have a new group called Cloth Diaper Q & A that you will want to join.

Tara

ashwinsmommy

Answer by ashwinsmommy at 6:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2008