Should Nana come back?

I admit I was probably wrong in the first place for taking Nana away. At the start of 2010 my DS (was 2 then) lost his teddy he called Nana. I thought it would be the end of the world for him because he was very attached but he didnt even seem to miss Nana, slept fine without him and didnt even ask about him until about a week after. I asked moms on CM if I should give him back and most said I was mean to take him away but when he was found I put him away in a cupboard anyway. DS has not replaced his beloved Nana and does bring him up every now and then. I just feel so guilty when DD plays with or cuddles her stuffies shes had since babyhood and DS doesnt have his. I wonder if he would be so attached to him if he did come back, it was horrible before if Nana went missing and mostly if I did the right thing or was just mean to take away his best friend. So should Nana be 'found'? or should I just leave well enough alone?

MamaZena

Asked by MamaZena at 4:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have Nana write him a letter and say how much she missed him while she was on vacation,and that she can't wait to come home. then ask him if he wants her to come home,or go live with another child.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i think the pp has a awesome answer
    turtle07

Answer by turtle07 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• May I ask why you took Nana away?
    chex9495

Answer by chex9495 at 4:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• thanks ladies, that is a good idea! Nana was lost for a couple days and DS did so wel without him I thought it would be best to just leave him be lost to see what happens, I actually think its been harder on me because of all the guilt I feel about it. Hes never said he wants his Nana back or cried over him or anything.
    MamaZena

Comment by MamaZena (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• OK I know I was mean and cruel and horrible and all that, I just wanna know if I should bring Nana back now.
    MamaZena

Comment by MamaZena (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Nana should either come back or disappear completely. I vote for coming back, but don't know the whole story.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The only hesitation I have is that when DS had his Nana he would suck his thumb, like the 2 went together,nana and thumbsucking. He quit sucking his thumb in March, but I dont want it to start again and am worried nana will bring back this habit.
    MamaZena

Comment by MamaZena (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I say be strong... keep it put away... he will be fine...you said he didn't cry or scream and was pretty fine when it was lost. If he needs comfort he will find another "nana", but from what you said he seems very mature.
    Andrea M.

Answer by Andrea M. at 8:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I love the first post. No worries.....all moms make an oops now and then. Look, kids need a snugggle item for soothing and comfort. As adults our comfort partner is usually another adult. One day hecwon't need a Teddy. But at times of stress he may look for her and when things are good he doesn't need her. So let a kid have a Teddy and sleep better because your child is.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:30 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• that's a rough one... i believe that "special things" for at home are okay at most any age... my girls both have blankies (they are 3 and nearly 2) and while they love them so much... as they get older we just explain that they are only for at home, not to take to school, etc... it worked for us...
    i don't know if brining it back would be good or bad though.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:57 PM on Aug. 31, 2010