Does your child have eczema?

My son was diagnosed at the age of 2 with severe eczema. We have tried a lot of different creams that the doctor has prescribed but they have discolored his skin. The last dr that we saw has us using a vitamin e lotion/cream but it still burns him when putting it on. I feel cruel and mean when putting these different things on him but I want to know if anybody has any home remedies or suggestions that would help us

Bran9545

Asked by Bran9545 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Health

• yeah. Right now he has a nice crop on his butt! Its not responding to anything I put on it and its making me mad! In the past cream with lanolin has worked.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Oh... so sorry.. :( my son had it for a short time from being lactose intolerant.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Have you tried removing dairy products from his diet to see if it improves? My ped told me my son's eczema was likely caused by dairy, but his case is so light (and responds well to hydrocortisone) that she didn't recommend removing milk from his diet unless it got worse.

Answer by missanc at 4:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yep, my twin boys have it. Our doctor prescribed Triamcinolon cream that works GREAT!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Day to day we use Aveeno Baby Lotion with dimethicone in it. It is fragrance, dye and alcohol free. It does not burn. It leaves a barrier in place. When he has hot spots we use Verdeso foam. It dispenses like a mousse..it works fantastic for him.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My son gets a prescription for Hydrocortisone 2.5% mixed with Eucerin. Then he uses Avon Oatmeal lotion. No dyes or fragrance and it has never burned him. Good Luck!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have heard removing dairy from his diet but wasn't quite sure if it would work! also, he absolutely loves cheese and milk......do i do this gradually or cold turkey it???
    Bran9545

Comment by Bran9545 (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My grandson has it head to toe. He is now 23 mo. He has it so bad people are scared of him when I take him places. They think he is diseased. Kids  with bad eczema should have allergy tests. My grandson is allergic to a bunch of foods and other things including cats. I had 5 cats. It was hard giving up my cats.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We have a triamconolone cream for bad outbreaks, and we completely cut dairy once we realized the eczema got much worse when she had a lot of dairy. Gradual would probably be better since he is older and used to the dairy in his diet. Also, have the doctors test for the elements of dairy he is allergic to- some kids are allergic to all dairy proteins (like DD) while others are only allergic to certain proteins, or sometimes the lactose in milk (a sugar, not a protein) can be the trigger. Best thing to do first is to keep a food log of everything he eats and monitor his eczema for any patterns. If you eliminate something and it seems to clear up, give it at least two weeks then re introduce it- if the eczema flares again or gets severe again, chances are that food is the trigger. Eczema can also be a sign of a skin allergy- my mom reacts to chlorine and vit. e- makes her skin look like it's been burned. PM me if you want.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My daughter has severe ezcema and we use Sarna Lotion with her. It doesn't burn and it soothes her skin as well. I use it for my severe dry skin and it keeps the itch away and moisturizes the skin. I was told by my daughter's doctor to not use any harsh soaps. We are to use either dove or cetaphil on her skin. Works wonders too and she hasn't had a major breakout in months since using that combination! Hope this helps!
    livysmom04

Answer by livysmom04 at 5:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010