Bible Question

How can the Bible be divinely inspired whenever it was man who decided what books would be included in it?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 4:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Religious Debate

• "inspired" means that God gave man the idea of what to write down... so one would hope that those who decided on what books to include were also inspired by God
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Do you know the meaning of inspired? If so, then there is your answer.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I agree with Elizabiza, but knowing that things were left out, personally makes me dig further and find out more. What I adore about my church is that my pastor is great about not only talking about the Bible but bringing in history facts too in his sermons. It gives a better rounded view as to what was going on socially and economically etc. One or two of the gospel writers were also great at historical (now historical) detail that can be proven by historians and archeologists, which does give more credeance to the 'stories' of Jesus' exsistance.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Well, anything that is inspired is created by a different person than that than inspired it... For example, a woman inspired the Mona Lisa (we assume) yet it was painted by Leonardo DiVinci... My Gods inspire me every day... It still doesn't mean that they are actually pushing the buttons to make things happen... It just means they are inspiring it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Isn't it possible for God to inspire men? Actually, God inspired many people throughout history, and that teaching/oral tradition got written down- culminating with when Jesus taught His apostles, then gave them the authority to teach/interpret His Words (and eventually that tradition got written down in the scriptures....."whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven...") To judge any particular teaching, simply go to the person(s) God gave the authority to teach and see what they taught. You'll find an unbroken line of unchanged doctrine from those original apostles (documented through writings of the early Church fathers) that goes all the way through to present day Catholic Church teaching. Many churches & individuals have dropped pieces of that apostolic teaching along the wayside (or contradicted it with subsequent "revelation") but the historical record shows the original teaching.
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 5:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yea, Im with you on that one! HOW can they also have left out 23 book of the bible when they re-did the modern day bible we all read today? Lets not forget about the passage that says, Woah's be unto any man who add's or takes away from my book.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• vbruno.. that was just for the book of Revelation. Did you know that there are 66 books in the bible bound into one book and everything was written down in individual books or letters?
    When Revelation was written the bible had not been put together yet.

As for inspiration... God put it into man's heart to write these things. Man penned it but God authored it.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• "inspired" means that God gave man the idea of what to write down... so one would hope that those who decided on what books to include were also inspired by God Answer by elizabiza

That's what concerns me when I read god's instructions for "ripping up their women with child" or his commands to stone a poor man to death for collecting sticks for his fire on the sabbath.  I cannot imagine obeying the command to stone a disobedient child to death.  I shudder at god's obvious lust for blood and gore.  I tire of god speaking out of both sides of his mouth and saying completely opposite things.  If these were the best choices that Constantine could make..he should have let a woman do it!

witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Just because it was written by men doesn't mean a thing. If you believe in the God of the bible you should believe he can control what is in the bible. If he wants it in there it is in there. If its not supposed to be then its not. So there for you get the bible we see today. God has made sure of that. At least this is what I believe. If God had just poofed it into existence we would still have people with doubts.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:11 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i see it this way...there are many MANY men through out time that have claimed to be inspired by God, but their actions proved otherwise. we dont know the men who put together the cannon of the Bible, we do not know their hearts. and honestly i dont believe God would interfere to keep them from doing something against his wishes...i mean God let the Quran and the Book of Mormon be written and they arent "really" inspired by God (FYI thats sarcasm).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:43 AM on Aug. 31, 2010