implant in your arm?

I have heard that there is this birth control that can be implanted in your arm that will last three to five years. Would anyone care to shed some light on this for me? A link maybe?

luvsmysonjames

Asked by luvsmysonjames at 5:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Health

• joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 5:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The implants carry the same damaging hormones as birth control pills, with the same (or worse) side effects. Ones I have encountered in particular (as an NFP teacher & Pregnancy counselor) are continuous bleeding, and impaired fertility and increased miscarriage rates when the device is removed. Dangerous! Don't go there!
    mamahobbit

Answer by mamahobbit at 5:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i have a nor-a-plant. its an older one,5 little tubes in my upper arm. i think they now use 3 tubes. its was good for 5 yrs and i loved it. when you go to get it removed though its usually so inbedded in your arm that you'll have a pretty good scar. wish someone would have told me that BEFORE i got it! i would have chose the depo shot or an IUD if i could do it all over. right now i have an old nonworking noraplant in my arm that my doctor said to just leave there because it will have to be DUG out! ouch!
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I do know that my friend got pregnant after she had the implant placed in her arm!
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I forgot to add....her baby was also born prematuraly only weighing 1 lb. 8oz.....it was so sad, but she made it!
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I just had my Implanon removed after 3 years, which is how long they last. It worked great fpr 18 months (no periods! No weight gain like others cause me) but after that I started to bleed for two weeks at a time. I know other people for whom it works great. I do have a keloid scar at removal site. I switched to MicroNor pills and prefer them. (I did Implanon b/c I am bad at remembering to take pills and it is safe for breastfeeding. MicroNor is safe for b/f, too.)
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 6:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010