would you change your health insurance if

your job was changing it to a diff. type where you had to change all your drs plus everyone who will be on it will have to pay out $600 deductilble for each one. the 600 has to be paid before the insurance will kick in. in other words if you or your kids got sick you would have to pay it all out of pocket first.the insrance comp wont pay you back for the out of pocket costs before they pick it up, this dont inculde the monthy cost that comes out of your pay check

shortstuff69

Asked by shortstuff69 at 5:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Health

• Well that depends on what your options are to change it to. I would be double checking on h deductible thing because the way ours worked before I got laid off and lost it was there was a $500 deductible for everyone, but going to our primary care physician didn't count towards that and we paid our $15 copay only for that. The deductible was only for things like specialists and ER type visits. All insurance I have ever had that is how the deductible worked.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• this is what we was told by our hr person and we wont have a choice this is what it is going to period end of statement at the begninng of the yr. our choice is to change it to this or cancell our insurance it is our choice
    shortstuff69

Comment by shortstuff69 (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I once worked somewhere where it was a $1,000 deductible. It was just me at the time so who knows what it was for an entire family. And there were no co-pays like aeneva's plan. In mind, it was like having no insurance at all.

I hope you have some time to do some research before you have to decide. If I were you, I'd reseach some health plans you can buy on your own. Then see if you would be paying more than $600 a year. Then go with the cheaper option.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Our insurance has gone up from $12 a week to $75, our deductible is $1500 per person per year for all hospital related expenses (labs, admission, ER visits, etc). We have a $35 co-pay for regular dr visits and we pay at least half of all dental and optical expenses (there are a slew of things not covered by the insurance and those we pay all of). I'm afraid to switch, though, with the health care crap going on now.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I hate when insurance dictates which doctors you can and can't see so that part would be of concern to me.

As for the $600 deductible, our (out-of-pocket) medical costs every year run anywhere between $5,000 and $10,000 so $600 sounds great to me BUT the reason our out-of-pocket costs are that high is because much of what we do is considered "alternative" and many insurance companies refuse to pay. Knowing whether or not the new insurance would cover any of that would be a consideration for me.

Make sure you understand everything the new plan entails and/or excludes before you make your decision.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:26 AM on Aug. 31, 2010