I cant stand up to people. I am passive.

What can I do to not be this way?

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• If you try the CM group advice, just don't let anyone get to you! Some of those groups are cutthroat! It's not just standing up for yourself, it's all out personal attacks!
    I agree with starting out with small things....someone says something you don't agree with, just say that. It gets easier to speak your mind once you feel more comfortable doing it.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Why dont you practice with moms here on CM. There are plenty of Bitch/debate groups that love to tangle, they dont know who you are, you dont know who they are, Its not like its in person.....face to face..you will get used to the confrontation after awhile and it will give you some confidance. Perfect opportunity to practice to stand up for yourself.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My best advice is that you need to work on it. Start with the small things and move your way up. Nothing too big too fast. You'll get used to it.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's kind of like a potato chip. Once you do it once (eat it once) you'' do it again (eat more)
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's tough. A lot of it depends on why you don't speak up or stand up to people. If you are afraid people are going to think you are crazy for due to a sudden outburst, you need to learn not to care what people think. If you are afraid people wont want to be your friend anymore you have to learn to get past that and realize people will respect you for what you say and what you stand by, and if not, they weren't worth having around in the first place.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 6:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• be yourself. are you shy? get good boundaries and find a good friend how has your back~you are worthy!
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 6:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I spent so much time worrying if others would be upset with me or talk about me. The older I get I realized that people are going to do what they want and feel how they want no matter what. So, I started doing what was best for me without worrying about it anymore. Be self honoring, and sticking to your guns.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• There's a book that might help you. The title of it is BOUNDARIES by Drs. Henry Cloud and John Townsend. Get a copy and read it and I think you will find some encouragement in it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I am the same way - although I am working on it - it is tough..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I am like that because I have been controlled by people my whole life
    noahsmommy12908

Comment by noahsmommy12908 (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010