Is it safe to give a 1 1/2 year old Chamomile tea?

The tea that I have is caffeine free and has no sugars, protein, sodium nothing. I just want to know if it's safe to give my daughter. She's 20 months and she has a mild cold. I just want her to relax and inhale the steam to help her breath better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yes, even good for colicky babies.
    Brew it stronger than usual, in about 4oz of hot water, with the cup covered, for approx 5 minutes.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would not. Chammomile can be dangerous although it has many benefits I'd look into it really well before you do it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i would say its fine. however if you have a humidifier that will work the best for a cold.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• hah, go figure. I guess the pre caution was to no mix it too strong and to only give it in small doses. And to make sure it is the purest of tea. I was leary because large amounts of chammomile can induce spontaneous abortion. I have never seen a case but I have a book on dangerous preg stuff.lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• "Chamomile can be dangerous"... pray, do tell.

So can sugar, flour, eggs... but people still eat cake without reservation. It is not as though she is force feeding the child concentrated capsules, we're talking tea.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Great for tummy aches and helps calm the baby as well.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 6:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• grow up ObbyDobbie, you are just soar from the last post. You know, the one you couldn't back up.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You can give her just hot water with lemon juice...

But, yes, chamomile is safe for babies as long as they aren't allergic to pollen --there's a lot in chamomile tea, since it's made out of flowers.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Precautions
    Because chamomile is related botanically to the ragweed plant, persons who are highly allergic to ragweed should use chamomile with caution.

Chamomile is generally safe to drink when prepared using the recommended quantity of dried flowers. Highly concentrated tea made from Roman chamomile has been reported to cause nausea; this reaction is caused by a compound found in Roman chamomile called anthemic acid.

Women who are pregnant or lactating should not use chamomile.

Persons taking warfarin or similar blood-thinning medications should use chamomile only after consulting their physician, as it may intensify the effects of anticoagulant drugs.

Side effects
    Chamomile can cause allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to ragweed.

Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Thank you music- that was very informative. Glad you took the time.

by the way... when was I "soar"... I don't remember flying today :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010