Over spoiled child!!

My friend has a two year old little girl, she speaks less then my ten month old, she just screams when she wants something and her mommy gives it to her, problem is my daughter is picking it up thinking its going to work for her, is there a quick way to stop this, she will do it like a day and realize mommy is not giving in unless she does the sign for it, unfortunately the two year old is over here all the time or we are over there, and my daughter tries it the following day again.... what can i do?

Laura_Cruz

Asked by Laura_Cruz at 6:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stop hanging out with each other with your children.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If you really think the other child is such a bad influence on your child maybe you should limit the amount of time they spend together.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Be honest with your friend. Explain that it is not healthy for all involved. If you start by telling her you need her help she should be more receptive. Hugs !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 6:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Dont give in. Sooner or later she'll see that screaming & pointing isn't getting her anywhere. If My son pulled that when he was little, Id walk away (not really walk away, but pretend I didn't see.)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Limit the amount of time they spend together. Also, is your friends daughter autistic? That may explain some things.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 6:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Stop letting them play together for a while. If the behavior stops then it was learned and now unlearned. If your child continues the behavior it could just be a stage and you need to work with them. My daycare provider gave me a good tip, get down to her level and tell her to use her words, if not possible ask her to point. Either way, do not give into the screaming. If this is a learned behavior, you are going to have to explain to your friend that you can't allow your child to learn this anymore. Give her the same tips to her her child stop screaming...get down to their level, ask them to use their words( at 2 pointing shouldn't be needed)
    Andrea M.

Answer by Andrea M. at 6:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I was going to ask the same as a pp asked if your friends daughter is autistic,do some research on autisim and show it to your friend
    stef1976

Answer by stef1976 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• At 18 months my daugther went to day care. She started having temper tantrums. I ignored her, had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing.
    So I woul dkeep doing what you are doing. And if the other child is there also ignore it, unless mom is there, take your daughter and go do something else. She will stop after she gets worse but hang in there.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• she is not autistic, she just learned to do that because her mom will ignore her if she just points but if she screams her mom wants her to stop so she gives her daughter of anything she asks for
    Laura_Cruz

Comment by Laura_Cruz (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• yikes!! Does your friend know what she is doing to her daughter is a bad idea? That's so hard because you are friends. I would limit time like everyone sys and when your friend asks why explain that it bothers you to hear her screaming all the time and maybe that will open to a deeper conversation?
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010