What is the most effective way to potty train?

Let your child run around without a diaper or take them to the potty every few minutes. Everyone has a different plan. What was your plan or what is your plan? What way is better?

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• The best way is the way that works for your child. Every child is different, so different techniques make things interesting. The most important thing is consistency in whatever method you choose.

DD was nearly 3 when we potty trained her. She was ready for it, and she wanted to go to school. It was a reward for her to go to school if she was potty trained. I also told her that the potty gets hungry and thirsty. She needed to feed the potty and give it a drink. That REALLY helped her. I know it sounds funny, but it worked so well with her.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 6:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If you want your children to learn to use the potty themselves, it seems more sensible to me for it to be them sorting it out... not their parents.

You CAN take your kids to the potty every however many minutes it seems reasonable to you... and perhaps even sidestep all the pressure and power struggles about 'going now' ... a problem that parents who get bored with the training tend to encounter with their impatience.

Or, you can do the lazy parenting method: wait until they're ready and want to, and then suddenly have a potty-trained child with no effort at all.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• OMG Lazy Parenting Method? Judgemental often? I have been told by 3 pediatricians to stop pushing, because my son is pushing back! I hate the word potty train. You train dogs, not human beings. We have four kids, some were easier than others. My oldest did fine, my daughter finally did right before you thought she wouldn't, we took away the pull ups and told her we were all out! She did great. My other boy knows what to do and refuses to do so. We have tried games, pos reinforcements, taking him, the list goes on.Took him to the doc, she said he's normal and to stop forcing it. So just recently he has been going on his own! And he's proud of it too! So I'm not sure if there is any one effective way. Try some stuff and do what works for him! :)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Lazy parent here I suppose. I have 3 children all of whom potty trained themselves. This is their accomplishment not the parents so let them do it when they are ready....I'm not saying a 6 year old should be going with a diaper though LOL. Just keep an eye out they will let you know when they are ready and then you just encourage them and give lots of praise. The thing i was big on though , is once they start there is no going back to diapers I did not even use them at night. Also make sure their clothes are easy to get in and out of or you just get a big mess hehe.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 6:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• my aunt didnt start potty training her son until he was almost 4 and he still wasnt ready which was really fustratiing for her so i would just say wait until they show signs of being ready so that they arent so scared of having an accident
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 7:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I guess I am lazy....but my son potty trained himself in 2weeks.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My son is 22 months, and he has gone periodically in the potty, and we haven't forced him at all. Most of the time, we will ask him if he has to go potty, and he is running to the bathroom. he doesn't always go potty, but he'll sit there for a while, and then want to wipe and flush the toilet. He's not potty trained yet, but its one step at a time.
    Jamie K.

Answer by Jamie K. at 8:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2010