How do I get my 1yr old to stay off the couch...

or at least sit down on it!? She just turned 1 and just learn to get on the couch. She wont sit down and she loves to climb over the edge. Needless to say she fell off the edge and bit her tongue in a few spots. I've already rearranged to try and keep her off them but she wont! Please help!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 6:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sit by her

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If you have the money & the room get her, her own chair or sofa set. =) You can find them at most walmarts, kmarts, ect in toys.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I didn't. I let her learn how to be careful. She relized she could take a little tumble and she is more cautious now. Nice cushy carpet though!lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I do sit by her but she just wont sit. She just wants to play on it and thinks its a game.
    SabrenaLeigh

Comment by SabrenaLeigh (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• TIme out worked wonders with my girls at that age. Only a 1 but that is forever to a 1 year old.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• A friend's son's epilepsy came on the day he fell onto the cushioned arm of the couch... so, you know...

What do you think she's doing? Do you think she's learning to use her body, to climb, to explore? Is she allowed to do any of that?

Seriously... that decision is yours. Some parents feel that their children's explorations are vital, important and valuable --so they stay with their kids, keeping them safe, allowing them to find their own limits of their courage and comfort. Other parents believe it's very important to control a child's exploration, to stop them from doing 'whatever' they happen to be interested in, and to corral their curiosity to keep them safe.

I have no idea what your answer is. I hope it's not 'I don't have time for her to explore' because a parent's convenience is a poor reason to be restrictive or harsh with a child's curiosity.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would place her in a time out so she knows that behaviour is not acceptable. She will eventually get the idea. At that age we bought our DD a tinkerbell table and chairs and she had her own place to sit and do things she wanted to do. I didn't like the jumping on the bed, sofa, or anything like that either.
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Whenever my one year old stands on the couch I tell her she can either stand on the ground or sit on the couch.. and she usually picks sit on the couch and I tell her that she made a good choice yadda yadda.. but occasionally this doesn't work. When she is really trying to tick me off she will jump around on the couch and look right at me and if she decides to not make a choice I tell her she can either sit or go to time out. Or I give her the 3-2-1-TIME OUT! approach. I just feel it is always best to start off by giving them a choice and using words that don't include NO! Sometimes children, when given choices that you feel are good ones, will think those are the only choices they have and will pick a good choice either way.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 7:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• my son is 2 1/2 nad he still does it...lol..that said it is the couch in the playroom so I don't care about the couch that much. I do tell him that he will hurt himself if he keeps it up. Which, btw, he has, but still does it.It's a battle I choose not to fight. The battles I do choose to fight i either give time outs or give rewards for making the right choices.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'd say - let her climb all over it and when she leaves for college - buy a new couch.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2010