Does the IUD hurt?

i'm planning on getting the iud next month and do you have to be on your period to get it? when the doctor put the iud in does it hurt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Health

• When I got mine, I had some light cramping for the first couple of days. But other than that, I didn't have any pain at all. And the no periods with the type I got was SOOOOO nice!
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 6:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I got mine at the 6 week check up. I was not on my period but I had not has sex since I gave birth. My ob told me to take 800 mg of Motrin an hr before it was to be put in. It hurt but not that bad. I had period cramps that were worse. I was fine right after. Having it taken out was even easier. They just pulled the string and it was out no big deal. Have to say it was the simplest form of effective bc I have ever been on.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I wasnt on my period and it was uncomfortable but it didnt take but like a minute although I'll warn you I got pregnant with mine in...so there ya go.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The actual insertion isn't bad at all, the worst part was when they took the thing they use to open your cervix out and that lasted a few seconds, tops. There was some cramping for a few days, but nothing major. Be prepared, you will probably spot after it's inserted so take pads or pantyliners with you.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010