Does your kids have chores?

My kids have to earn any privilege or money they get by doing chores.My sister thinks
I am crazy for doing this.I have to earn my paychecks so why should my kids be handed anything and everything without earning it. All my kids have some chores to do,just simple things,keep room clean everyone takes turns with the bathroom and dishes.So my question is does anyone else give their kids chores to do?

stef1976

Asked by stef1976 at 7:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i think what ur doing is good i grew up with chores if i wanted to go anywhere even if it was to a party with my mom i had to do some chores. My girls are still too little i think but they still have to help me when i clean.
    silvia_2

Answer by silvia_2 at 7:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yep. & My son is five. Its easy things. Like feeding the dog & the cat, putting away silverwear, helping around the house. Things that make him feel helpful!!! (my son loves helping)

He asked for chorus so he could earn money when he was four. I thought it was great of him, when asked why, he said Mommy I want to buy my own toys. Not only does he do this, he also has learned to save his money. He gets ten dollars every two weeks. Some weeks he'll spend it. But Most he doesn't. Hes earned over 100 *saved* Dollars from doing this... at 5!!!!
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yup! Both of mine do. Both have to clean their rooms, make their bed(s), put their clothes in the hamper, put their plates in the sink, and put their toys away. My son also has to do his home work, feed his hamster, change its cage, and take out the trash.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes my kids have chores. they clean their rooms, wash dishes (no dishwasher in my house), take out the trash, clean the bathroom
    moxiema

Answer by moxiema at 7:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My sons had chores (cleaning their rooms, putting their laundry away, supper dishes, yardwork, etc.) until they left our home but they never got paid for them and they didn't get special privileges for doing their chores. They got rewarded for good grades and for staying out of trouble but not for chores because I don't get paid for cleaning my house, doing laundry, etc. so I wasn't going to pay them for those things.

tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Your sister in law must not have kids! If she does they must be spoiled brats. You are a right parent for raising mature and responsible kids. You are doing it right imo! Those kids shouldnt be taught to feel entitled to free things in life. They will have to work for money and you should never be the only one helping out in the house. My parents always with-held allowance if I didnt do the chores or if I did a poor job. Just like in real life.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My kids are expected to do the dishes if they need to be done and fold the laundry when needed. Otherwise, I will ask them to help out with other housework when needed especially if I am doing a lot of running for them.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• yes, My 15 yr old has the kitchen, her bathroom and her room. If she wants to help with other things around the house then that is great.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 10:02 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My boys have chores too, they take care of the dogs, vaccuum, take out the trash and clean the kitchen. They do various other things as well when I ask (like switching the laundry or dusting or cleaning the bathroom). They don't do chores to earn anything, they do them because everyone is responsible for keeping the living areas clean, however if they aren't done the kids do loose privledges like going to friends or having friends over.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• When school was out, every summer we started the day with 1 hour of housework and then 1 hour of yard work. My motto is, "Work before pleasure". If there was any arguing, no swimming or friends. Be consistant however you dole out chores. Yes, children should have responsibility or they grow up thinking mommy and daddy gives them everything.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010