Any recipe ideas for a side dish in a slow cooker?

I am looking for a side dish that can be cooked in a slow cooker. It needs to feed about 20 people and I will not have use of a stove/oven. Any good potato recipes or any others you can think of? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comfycozy77

Asked by Comfycozy77 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• What is the main dish? Is it like a pot luck dinner thing?
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You can do mashed potatoes in a slow cooker. I make a cream corn in my crock pot. It's 2 bags of corn, 1 stick butter, 1 pkg. cream cheese and a dash of garlic powder. Once the butter and cream cheese melt you mix it all up. You can cook it for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Wild Rice Pilaf Ths makes for 6 dishes, but you can add ingredients to make a larger amount * 2 cups uncooked wild rice * 1/2 cup chopped onion * 1/2 tsp salt * 1/8 tsp pepper * 2 can (14 ounces each) chicken broth * 1/2 cup water * 2 cans (4 ounces each) sliced mushrooms * 1tsp dried thyme leaves * Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. Rinse rice and drain well. Combine all ingredients together. Stir well. Place lid on. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 7:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes, it is for a potluck dinner. The main dish is fried chicken. The only other side dish I know already being made is green beans.
    Comfycozy77

Comment by Comfycozy77 (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Broccoli casserole, scalloped potatoes, applesauce, baked apples
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Disclaimer - I haven't made this yet. It's in my list of bookmarks of recipes I'll get around to trying one of these days.  I do have friends who've tried it and raved about it (which is why I ended up bookmarking it):

Creamy Crockpot Risotto

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Mmm, cheesy hashbrowns. Depending on the size of your crock pot and how creamy you want it, here are the ingredients but no amounts - I just go by what looks good when I make it. Hashbrowns, onions (optional, fresh chopped or dried), sour cream, cream of whatever soup (I use celery but any variety works), cheese (shredded, shred your own, whichever, cheddar, colby, co-jack, sharp cheddar, any of those or combos are good), black pepper (again, optional, I like some). Mix in a bowl, pour into a greased crock, and cook - time varies depending on size & amounts, usually 6 hours on high is more than plenty for me, I do stir it occasionally.

Or like colethky said - make some mashed potatoes, and just dump them into the crock pot to reheat/stay hot.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 8:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

such an awesome blog ALL ABOUT crock pot cooking. She even makes them and reviews them with the help of her fam!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• hashbrowns with all the fixings, or you could do mashed with toppings... yum!
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• layer lasagna noodles, cheddar, sauteed onions, and mashed potatoes made your favorite way. Cook on high two hours.

make sure you grease the pot or do the bag thing,
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:00 AM on Aug. 31, 2010