What to do when you Brother and Sister in laws don't like you and constantly exclude you & you children from events?

My Brother and Sister in Law(s) always exclude myself and my children from events like amusement parks, play dates, special family get to gethers and sleep overs. My Husband and I have made it clear before that our Children should be included. We don't know why this is happening. We are beginning to assume that it's a jealous issue (my Husband & I do very weel for ourselves but we also work very hard for everything that we have). We just wish we were included in more activities. Any advice??

sunnydaze09

Asked by sunnydaze09 at 7:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• Do you include them in your activities? That's where I would start. You really cannot demand that anyone invite you to anything. Perhaps by doing that, you have aggravated them. So maybe you should plan some extra activities and invite the whole family to your place.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• then why in the hell do you want to be around them? I have family members that do this, and i don't care. I refuse to push the issue or break my back trying to make it happen. Why do I want to spend any time with people who don't like me. It'lll just be awkward anyway. Move on and let it go. Things change over time if you leave them alone(so I've learned) ;)
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I know family can be a pain in the butt sometimes. let it go and move on .
    moxiema

Answer by moxiema at 7:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• We actually have invited them over 3 times this Summer for a cookout and swimming. The have come over all three times and have mingled among themselves. I guess I feel like i'm sick of trying. I do however always seem to get invited to "Parties" that are intended to sell products though.
    sunnydaze09

Comment by sunnydaze09 (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yep, sounds like you need to move on. Sounds familiar. I will say that some of my family have grown up a little and we now spend time together(2 years later) but there are some we realize, it's better we aren't involved anyway. Moving on and finding your own family thing to do would be best. Good luck!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Stop going to the "come buy my stuff" parties. I stopped going to those a long time ago. As for being invited to other events, I would just let it go and move on. I would probably stop inviting them and just start forming more friendships with other people outside of family.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 7:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• my sister has her own group of friends. I used to think it was because my kids are hard, but really I bet things would be like this even if I had a husband and normal kids.

the weird thing is I ended up hosting the family big dinners on holidaze...they bring some food, but single mom me is doing all the housecleaning, cooking, hosting, entertaining and off they all go for the year.

If my sister was a single mom and had a down's child or any special needs~I know I would go out of my way to include her and her kids even if things were not always easy.....

I just have made my own life with my own friends who get me and love funky kids~her loss. same for you~their loss really~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 7:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't give them the time of day & wouldn't put my kids through having their feelings hurt- If it was me; i would have to Cut the Ties!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 7:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• ugh....try not to seem like you need acceptance from these people and then they will start to miss you. Get friends for the kids and even yourselves and have fun out on the outside world instead of worrying about family matters such as this. do things like have bbq's and such, your children shouldnt be around people that wouldnt treat them fairly anyway.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 7:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I totally agree it´s not worth the thought that you are giving it, freak that, you don´t need them! and you sure don´t need to buy anything they are selling just to get accepted!!
    SusieQue717

Answer by SusieQue717 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010