Getting ready for Preschool----any suggestions on making the transition easier? packed lunch ideas?

My 2.5 year old will be moving from his family daycare to preschool next week. He is bored with daycare, so it seems like the right time to move on.
However, changing his routine, and going to a place with new people has me apprehensive for him.
We're talking about "preschool" and taking him to visit a couple times a week so he's somewhat familiar wiht the children and teachers.
Any additional suggestions?
Also, the preschool requires a packed lunch. Any suggestions out there on easier to open containers for little fingers? On packed lunch foods?
Thanks from an anxious mommy

Wendy580

Asked by Wendy580 at 7:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in

• I think its harder on the parents adjusting to a new routine than it is for the kids. My four year old went to a new school this year. She was not open to the idea when it was first presented but she became more and more excited as the first day approached. I took her shopping for some new clothes and new shoes and that seemed to be the turning point for her. As far as lunch, if your child can open it at home, they'll be able to open it at school. And I'd hope the teachers would be willing to help your child if he needs help opening his containers! :) Good luck!!!
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 8:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I know it's hard, but try to first get YOUR apprehension under control. Kids feed off our own emotions. If you're nervous - he's going to notice and get nervous wondering what's happening that's got you anxious. : )

Kendra has some good ideas. Make it a big deal - you're going to a big kid school. Let's pick out a lunch box! Let's find some new clothes to wear for your first day. Talk about what he's going to be learning. It sounds like you're off to a good start in prep. Just know that he's going to be fine and he's going to have fun.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have a huge list of bagged lunch ideas; send me a message if you would like a copy

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

Next question in
How to get a child to show his work in math?

Next question overall (Relationships)
Are you...