What products do I need to BF?

Nursing pads, Lansinoh topical treatment...what else? What are your favorite brands? Thanks!

SMH2010

Asked by SMH2010 at 7:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Definitely nursing pads. I found a pump to be helpful in the very beginning when I was extremely engorged. It help to let a little out before the baby fed. But that only lasted a few weeks. I never used anything else.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:27 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Nothing...that's all I have.
    If you want a pump to store away breastmilk if you want to go out and have reserves at home. Even then you can hand express.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 7:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I bought whatever there was at Wal-Mart in the pads, next time I will get washable cloth ones. I didn't need the cream...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Nursing bras, and nursing pads I used (Lansinoh and johnsons) Lanolin ( I hardly used it)
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• nursing bras, nursing tops that allow easy access when in public...a favorite pillow to get the baby up higher so you don't have to lean down.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 7:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Oh yeah...I fed from the tap. I would hand express after 2 months if I felt I really needed to.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• a nursing bra was always essential for me. and a nursing cover if you ever have to bf in public.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Lansinoh (or any other barrier ointment) traps moisture, and can worsen, or cause thrush. Avoid these. If you are sore, rub a couple drips of expressed milk on the nipple and let it completely air dry after EVERY feeding. if you need moisture (and sometimes we do) use OLIVE OIL, it is an anti microbial which retards the growth of yeast, which is what causes thrush.

You will need a *properly fitted* nursing bra.

Other than support, and some nursing pads, there is nothing that you *need* everything else is a convenience item.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You don't need lanolin, it's not recommended by LLL any more. A nursing pillow might be nice. Boppy may be the worst, there are a lot to choose from.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• BTW, you attract *more* attention when you use a nursing cover. Unless you are flashing, no one will know you are nursing your baby.

Try eating a meal under a blanket for 20 minutes, see how it feels- if nothing else, that will change your perception of nursing covers.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010