• In the Spotlight:

Help! My husband's work clothes STINK so bad!!!

Hubby is a working man. He sweats all day long, works with oil & diesel, and tends to get wet alot. I think it's our water mixing with his sweat that makes them stink! Any suggestions? My clothes do not stink what so ever, so it has to be from him working.

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 7:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• just tell him he needs to shower when he gets home i am sure he will understand and wash the clothes a lot or tell him to help with laundry if u have to wash his clothes every day
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• my husband was a long haul trucker when we 1st started living together. he's also been a mechanic.

I only ever found 1 way I was happy w/ his clothes. And that was soaking them over night in an oxyclean and tide slurry. good luck!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• it's actually pretty easy once you get a system going.....

have him call about 2 minutes from the house.
    get the washer going on HOT w/ lots of name brand tide (w/ febreeze if possible!) and MANY scoops of Oxyclean
    have him strip IMMEDIATELY and get everything into washer. let it start to "agitate", spinning and soaking in water enough to see tons and tons of soap suds.
    stop the cycle then and leave it til morning, when you'll finish it and then probably do a 2nd cycle with NO soap to remove all the excess soap.

OH - they make a BABY OXY CLEAN which when his clothes were super nasty I always used. It's the same basic principal only no perfumes and gentler.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• @nandy90- LOL, It's not him that actually stinks, haha, it's just the clothes for some reason. He is actually a very nice smelling man even when he's all sweaty. He's the one who came to me with the problem. He takes a shower as soon as he gets in because he's muddy most of the time, and he also washes his own work laundry because the diesel smell gives me horrible headaches. ;)

@hibbingmom- Thanks! I'll give it a try!!!
    wishwish

Comment by wishwish (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My son works in the meat department at a grocery store. When he has to close at night he has to wash that floor down with water and bleach. He smells like bleach and blood and dead fish and it's horrible. His shoes smell all the time. They attrack flies. I don't even want his clothes in the house.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My husband is a mechanic who works on large diesel air compressor and generators. He has a uniform service, but refuses to use them... oh...lucky me.... anyways, I wash them in my homemade detergent and they always smell fresh. It is probably because my detergent contains washing soda and borax, plus Fels Naptha laundry bar soap which can cut through the stains, grease and fuel residue. The borax and soda combine to deodorize. Smelliness has never been much of an issue!

doing laundry

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My Dh works in refinery's so we get lots of stinky clothes...so I take them to laundary mat. Usually you can drop them off and have them done for you and it doesnt cost much than if you sat there and waited for them.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Try adding baking soda to the wash water when you wash his clothes, that will help get rid of the stink.
    pegleg63

Answer by pegleg63 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I second what Woodwitch says. If you don't make your own soap, try adding Borax to the prewash (if you have a HE machine) or just dump some in with your soap for a regular machine.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:18 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Wash with Baking Soda. Baking soda removes odors from the air and from clothing when used.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010