Question about 'The Little Mermaid'

Ariel defies her father, sneeks out, and ends up married at 16. Anyone think that this is a poor message to send to young girls?

I was just watching it with my DD and it crossed my mind. IDK.

kenzie07

Asked by kenzie07 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Entertainment

• I never looked at it that way. Very good point.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think your reading to much into it... IMO

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yeah, cause any little girl even realizes all that while watching it...? Psh, you are reading WAY TOO much into it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• "I think all of the lead female Disney characters are "rescued" by a male character by the end of the story" tasches (above)

If you want to be worried about a negative message, this is the one that I'd be concerned with.
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 7:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Oh please. Does everything have to have a message? Can't you just love the story of the cute mermaid?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I don't think kids read into it as much as you think....but as a parent....it freaks me out that it might be sending a wrong msg.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 7:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• does it say she is only 16? and usually young girls dont really notice that much about the story i think u are being paranoid its just a cartoon about a princess that happens to be a love story
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• well, she did run away from home, just like pinocchio and then lots of bad things happened to them. i think it's good bc it shows them being disobedient, really bad stuff happens and in the end they have to get bailed out by their dad anyway. i don't think there is a way i could look at it to see it encouraging kids to run away from home lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I know that Sleeping Beauty is only 16 when she meets her Prince, but I don't remember Ariel being a specific age....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 7:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think that if it was true Disney would have been sued over it and it would have been changed.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010