You Tube stars make big money - but why?

By Helen A.S. Popkin

The top 10 YouTube stars have one thing in common. They're awful. Just really, really bad. What I mean to say is, they suck. So who the hell is watching them? According to analytics and advertising company TubeMogul, these guys — and one gal —brought in six figures over the last year.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Entertainment

• I have never knew that there were some top videos on YouTube. I go there to watch a video on how to crochet a specific stitch or fix a patch in our drywall. Occasionally, I watch country music videos or an old show that is no longer playing on TV.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree that most youtube stars are obnoxious, but I can tell you who's watching them - kids and people like my husband (who enjoys wasting time watching youtube videos). I personally use the site for educational videos for our kids, but most of what is there is junk.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The "how" is fairly obvious. The money comes from banner ads — the revolving advertisements for Tortino Pizza Rolls, "World of Warcraft," Vitamix blenders, etc., that reload every time you click a video. The more views a video gets, the more money it earns from banner ads — and splits with YouTube parent company Google. To earn the $100,000 to $315,000 that TubeMogul estimates, each YouTube rock star gets watched a whole heck of a lot.
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2010