What is the "right" age to wean form bottle to sippy cup??

My peditrician told me at my 1 year well check for my son that I should start weaning from the bottle to the sippy cup. I just quit nursing my son about 3 weeks ago and feel that it will be too soon to do all this to him all of a sudden. He is used to a bottle because I pumped during the day at work and he took my milk from a bottle for my mom, but I still feel like it would be rushing him!

Mom2Brock

Asked by Mom2Brock at 7:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd say 10 - 12 months.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• All three of my boys were completely done with the bottle at 11 months. It was sippy cup heaven...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I see 3 and 4 year olds still running around with bottles of juice, etc. I think it's just up to the individual parent. For some kids, it's a comfort thing.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 7:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• every child is different, my daughter was still on a bottle at three, and my son was finished with them at 15 months. I say go with your gut feeling and do what is right for your and your child
    mimi66

Answer by mimi66 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I weaned my daughter from the bottle when she was one. She refused to take the sippy cup for a day and I got so tempted to just give her the bottle. We were determined so we threw away all her bottles. My husband persisted that this phase will pass and she will take the sippy cup eventually because kids don't like to starve. =)p Good thing he was right because the next day, she was happy to take the sippy cup!

Now, with my son, I weaned him off the bottle at 4 months of age. He sprouted his first teeth at that age and started biting pieces off the nipple. He didn't fuss as much as my daughter though so it was fine. =)
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 7:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• 11 months at the latest. Bottles are worse for teeth than sippy cups and pacifiers.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I prob. did it @ 13 or 14 months...it's hard because they will refuse the sippy...clear out all your bottles and either have them packed away in your attic or give them to a friend for a week. This way you won't give in. Eventually they will take the sippy if that is all there is.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I threw away all of my son's bottles when he turned 1, we had been weaning him into sippy cups for several months before hand. He is now 2, and rarely even uses a sippy cup. He likes to be a big boy and drink out of the cups mom and dad drink out of.
    Jamie K.

Answer by Jamie K. at 8:09 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My son has been taking the sippy cup since 7 months, only when he has meals tho. He still gets his bottle (hes 8 months now) But I did the same with my Breastfed baby, introduced the sippy when he got babys food, that way when it is time to stop the breast or bottle its not cold turkey, and they already know and love the sippy, instead of resenting it.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• baby foods* not babys food. lol
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010