(Christians) help me out b/c I still dont understand...

First let me say that my opinions and beliefs about religion tend to confuse a lot of Christians to either the point of anger, insulting retaliation, hate mail, ignorance and in some cases all of the above. But no matter what I say, understand that Im not trying to please anyone. Now...

Why is it that half of the Christians on this website can use scripture to justify a means, or to explain a religious point, BUT when I use a scripture to do just the same I get called ignorant, and uneducated. I get told that I take the scriptures too literal, or that I am twisting the meaning, or (my personal favorite) taking the scripture out of context/content?
Why is there a double standard?
PS If I spelled something wrong...SO WUT!!!!!!

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 7:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Religious Debate

• oh... I wish I was a *christian* so I could answer you :P
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• because people like to dish out but dont like it when someone else knows something they dont
    amandaeastman

Answer by amandaeastman at 7:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The problem is, is that everyone has their own interpretation. I'm not saying who's wrong and who's right....but the people that feel they are right get frustrated when someone else doesn't see how they see.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Because only "our" way (really, their way) of looking at it is correct. No matter how many interpretations are possible, only one (meaning theirs) is valid. ;)

(at least, that's the way they see it)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it. They probably don't know what they are talking about! A lot of people can use tge scriptures to justify their oiwn actions.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• alot of times people like to pretend they know alot about something, but when their knowledge is challenged, they feel like they're getting called out so they get defensive. this isn't just for religious debate either, it's in alot of other topics too. like amandaeastman said.... they can dish it out but they can't take it. so that's when things get nasty lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm not a Christian.. but it's because some won't use logic. They are set in there beliefs and are stubborn as mules about it.

If their book says one thing, and the way they interpret it means "blah blah blah".. you just can't get them to read anything more than "blah blah blah".. regardless of how logical your explanation can be.

(note: I said SOME.. not all).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I am a Christian and would encourage anyone to read the scriptures (which you have to do if you're going to quote them, right?). That said, I don't think I've ever quoted scripture to make a point here on CM and I tend to double check those who do (by looking up the scripture myself). I can't speak to your beliefs because, well, I don't know what they are, but I believe everyone has a right to their own opinion and I won't try to force my religious beliefs down your throat if you will do me the same favor (you referring to the general public here, not to any one poster).

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:54 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Can you give an example? Maybe I missed something. I don't remember seeing the post you are talking about.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Personally I think people who use scriptures to prove their arguments can ALWAYS find one to back their particular point, no matter what it is. You make up a ridiculous argument and I will bet you money there is a quote you can twist to use to your advantage.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010