How do you treat night terrors?

I cant just let him cry..

mommy_mills

Asked by mommy_mills at 7:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies less than a year don't have night terrors. Their brains are hard wired to sleep next to their mothers. When they wake or feel they are alone it is a survival mechanism for babies to cry to alert their mothers so they won't be carried off by wild animals or face other dangers.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• but he screams like hes hurting and doctors say hes healthy but it breaks my heart. :(
    mommy_mills

Comment by mommy_mills (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I had night terrors when I was less than a year old, it does happen. I had them until I was 4 or 5 I think. Your LO will grow out of it, whether it lasts a few months or a few years like mine did. Basically the only thing you can do is talk quietly to your little guy and pat his back. You can try to hold him, but for some kids that makes it worse. Do not, whatever you do, try to wake him up. Just let it run it's course. I know it sucks, but he will be perfectly fine and won't remember it when it's done.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• honestly I let him sleep with me its the ONLY thing that calms him down and it just started 2 weeks ago :( idk what to do
    mommy_mills

Comment by mommy_mills (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If having him in the bed with you works, then do that. When your LO is happy, then do the thing that makes him happy. Don't let people tell you it is a bad way to handle it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• thank you.. sometimes is hard when my husbands in a "good mood" though idk
    mommy_mills

Comment by mommy_mills (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• you should start a routine, bath time, a book, a song, a bottle, rocking for a few minutes with no tv or radio just you and the baby. then lay him down talk to him, tell him it's bed time and it's time to sleep. he will get into his routine and the night terrors will leave. try to make sure the baby doesn't get to watch tv bc for some kids it can be confusing to them.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:12 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• my ten month old does the same thing. i think he's afraid of the dark or has nightmares. he will be sleeping perfectly fine then just start screaming his head off like he's scared. usually i pick him up and rub his back. then i rock him until he goes back to sleep. we also got him a night light. it helps alot. if sleeping next you works then let him sleep next to you. hopefully this will go away soon.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My son is 4 and still suffers from night terrors and he started having him when he was like 4 or 5 months. At the worst he was having at least one a week and he even slept in the same room.Sometimes he would let us hold him other times it made it alot worse the best thing i found was just to talk to him in a calm soothing voice and to stay relaxed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• to xavierlogan09

im not tring to insult your intelligence but i would like to clarify the difference between night terrors and nightmares. There is a huge difference in the two, with night terrors you dont want to wake them up i found this out the hard way, its very bad. When the child is having a night terror they seem awake eyes are open they look around and sometimes even fight back as you try to hold them, were as with a nightmare you can wake them up and get them calmed down fairly quickly. I've had a night terror last for over an hour.If your child only has nightmares consider yourself lucky.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2010