Have you ever heard of Kangaroo Mother Care??

What is Kangaroo Mother Care??

Definition: A universally available and biologically sound method of care for all newborns, but in particular for premature babies, with three components ...

1 Skin-to-skin Contact
2 Exclusive breastfeeding
3 Support to the mother infant dyad.
skin-to-skin contact is between the baby front and the mother's chest. The more skin-to-skin, the better.
For comfort a small nappy is fine, and for warmth a cap may be used. Skin-to-skin contact should ideally start at birth, but is helpful at any time. It should ideally be continuous day and night, but even shorter periods are still helpful.

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I heard about that mother who's baby came back to life after two hours of laying with her like that.....Amazing!
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's been used since the beginning of man kind- and FINALLY us backwards americans are catching on... I wonder how the statistics would change is mothers did what they are instinctively supposed to do- hold their child and feed it at birth. Rather than depending on the medical community to "check" everything out... keeping the child away from them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's used in countries that can't afford incubators for premature babies. Some NICUs let parents do it part of the time. For the full term infant it's similar to attachment parenting or in-arms parenting.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes, I have heard about it for years. I know many families who had premature babies and Kangaroo care helped them get well faster than anything else.
    I am a Foster Mom and I was taught Kangaroo Care by the Hospitals to care for our preemies. It is amazing what body contact can do for a little one.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 7:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes it was on a little card attached to my second sons little bed at the hospital. =)
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 8:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• @ sleepingbeautee~ there are TONS of stories like this one, especially regarding preemies. Google it ;)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes. I used it for both of my preemies.
    allmyblessings

Answer by allmyblessings at 8:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yep, and i informed my SO that when we do have kids, we will be doing this from the second they come out of my vagina. LOL He says eeww. But, I say baby will go from crotch to chest to nurse. Haha
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yep. I'm a ped's nurse and we promote kangaroo care all of the time... not just with mommy's but also a great bond with daddy's. It's great to get the baby's temp to stabalize... we also use it to wake the baby up prior to breastfeeding.
    My DH LOVED kangaroo care with my son, he did it all of the time with my son.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2010