Can a Pagan believe in the Christian God?

Those of you who know me, know where I stand on this point, but I want your opinions... This came up on another site and apparently I'm the minority...

**You know, it's bad when you're the minority on a site built on minority beliefs! lol!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I guess in theory.....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• **You know, it's bad when you're the minority on a site built on minority beliefs! lol!

You should try being a non-Christian conservative around here sometime.

Yes, of course pagans can believe in the existence of the Christian god, they can even include him. That's what Christianity originally was across Europe. People didn't abandon their faith and convert. They treated God/Jesus like every other mystic religion deity and just incorporated them into their pantheon. It wasn't until centuries later that they started killing the ones who wouldn't give up the other deities and insisted on monotheism.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• a person can believe anything they wish.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Of course they can, lol. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• yes.. lots of Pagans use to believe that Christian God was just one of many others.. and some still hold this same belief.

There was a God that the Romans use to worship that a lot of those in what is now England worshiped as well after the Romans invaded.. who's story was the same as Christs.. born of a virgin, 12 decibels, blah blah blah, and a lot of Pagans use to believe they were one and the same. If I remember I'll look up the name.. I just read a book recently about it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Very interesting...I was wondering that too. I would think so, but I've never met anyone that falls into that category.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I am Pagan - and I do believe the Christian God exists... I have never doubted it. I simply believe he's one in a crowd, and not the one and only... However on one of my Pagan Forums, I was informed that a "real Pagan" can't believe in the Christian God, because that would make them a Christian... I found this thinking rather limited... So I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You can if you feel he calls to you... I personally don't. Never felt a pull or a call or a loving thought. Always from others, but never from that particular one.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 9:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Perhaps I should reword (read mine and was like.. blah, I am dictating)
    What I meant was... There should be no reason why a Pagan can not believe in the christian god.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 9:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010