How do you get a 2 year old to brush his teeth when he refuses?

My 2 year absolutely refuses to even go near a tooth brush. We have tried brushing our teeth and having him watch. He runs the other direction.

Jamie K.

Asked by Jamie K. at 7:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just do it for him. Better its done by you than not at all.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i do it for him as well..he hates it then too..I'm bringing him to the dentist tomorrow and I will let you know what he says
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• flavored tooth paste, but my kids LOVE brushing theirs
    Trin0714

Answer by Trin0714 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• get him a toothbrush with someone he likes. i got a spongebob for my 2 yo-and he always wants to brush. if that dnt work-just brush them urself with his toothbrush..I agree with butterfly blue19
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He is far too young to be expected to brush on his own, or even do a good enough job for it to make a difference. Do it for him.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yeah I brush my two year old sons teeth myself. Its part of our routine. I brush them then he gets to do it himself, then he gets a cup of water and swish and spits. He likes it just fine now. =)
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• and i got him thomas toothpaste! get him something he likes maybe he will like it
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 8:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Do it for him - refusal is not an option. It's not about what he likes, it's about what he needs.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 8:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• He screams and throws a fit when I brush his teeth for him, and he's a good kid otherwise, and rarely throws a fit, but he does not want to brush his teeth. He loves spongebob as well, so i got him a tooth brush with spongebob. And he has flavored tooth paste, and he still refuses. I feel bad forcing him to it, and I know that he needs it done.
    Jamie K.

Comment by Jamie K. (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• it isn't a choice. you ask him where he wants his teeth brushed..at this sink or that one.....have a small soft brush with no fluoride tooth paste and hold his head (nicely with a wrap around arm that also help hold his lips and jaw out of the way) and get in there and brush his teeth for him. Even if he says he will do it himself...he is too young to be in charge of his own dental care.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 8:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010