about arthritis

So I dont know what is going on and has been for years but I am 24 and every time I type for a period longer than about 10 mins my hands really start to hurt same with writing in general or if I try to give my husband a back rub after about five minutes I am in major pain I am wondering if this may be arthritis or something like it.. I am starting classes online soon and I know that it is going to come with alot of typing so I am trying to figure this out now thank you for any help

jgwilliams

Asked by jgwilliams at 8:13 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Usually if a problem exists in both hands from an activity it can be an issue with the cervical (neck) region. Of course, it could be carpal tunnel too. Only a Dr. can officially diagnose that. Write down all of your symptoms, what you are doing when they start, the position that you are in, etc. to discuss with your Dr. My first question would be how is your posture. Are you looking up or down, to the side? Are you conscious of how you're sitting? Are you slumping? Are you carrying stress in your shoulders and are they bunched up around your ears? Just be aware of your body and see if you can pinpoint anything that is causing an increase in your symptoms. Any time there is a static posture like that, you should move around frequently. I would definitely get it checked out, but tell them you want to go conservatively first. You don't want to jump into a surgery if therapy would help remedy the problem. Good luck!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• how do they hurt? do they get kind of tingly, numb or achy? that's what happens to my hands. i have carpel tunnel.... it came when i had pre-eclampsia with my first kid and it never left me. i also have very weak hands and wrists now

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It could be. Have you tried taking NSAIDS before typiing to see if that helped. If it was arthritis then NSAIDS would help.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• call your doctor. andmaybe take some Aleve or Motrin before you type. take a small break every 10 minutes to stretch your fingers.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:17 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• it is achy but i mean bad bad achy hurts really bad when it happens
    jgwilliams

Comment by jgwilliams (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• hmm, i would go to the dr. about it. if it is carpel tunnel instead of arthritis, they have braces that you wear on your wrists to alleviate the pain.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i would see a chiropractor regularly (weekly) and i would also make sure that your posture is perfect! type near a mirror if you have to. every joint should be at a 90* angle, your feet to the floor, your lower leg to your upper leg, your upper arm to your lower arm.

carpal tunnel is an issue with your nerves. the nerves that run down the arm and into the wrist exits the spine at the neck. a chiropractor can help tons!!!

happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• sounds like carpel tunnel get a wrist brace and start wearing that....I have had Arthritis my whole life and had carpel tunnel...sounds like all you need is a brace...it is not Arthritis....that there is so much more then wrist/ hand pain
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:56 PM on Aug. 30, 2010