Have You Ever Considered....

That there could be risks to having ultrasounds during pregnancy? There once was a time when x-rays were regularly used on pregnant women, and then they learned that wasn't such a great idea.

-See links below-

dedicatedrider

Asked by dedicatedrider at 8:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• dedicatedrider

Comment by dedicatedrider (original poster) at 8:16 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Well, I'm high risk. I don't have much choice in the matter if I want to make sure that everything is safe with my unborn child. I had to have numerous u/s with dd, and she has turned out just fine and normal. If anything, she's too smart for her own good.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 8:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• They recommend not getting excessive about unnecessary ultrasounds and if you get a 3d/4d one to only get one because the power of the sound waves used to generate an image are so much stronger. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone having any problems with their baby becasue of ultrasounds.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yep, there are risks with just about everything - even drinking water... But as with anything, if you feel the benefits out weigh the risks then it's more than worth it - don't you think?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yes sirreebob. I had one in my first pregnancy, none in my second, and I don't think I had any in my third. The thing is everything scares me. I am a big chicken.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I do think that there are risks but I am High Risk everytime I am pregnant so for me, the good outweighs the bad. It's comforting to know that the baby is okay and to be prepared.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 8:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• yea but then they realized babies were coming out blind and other things w xrays they havent seen any adverse affects from ultrasound i know the doppler is a group b, but the use them every time you go. im sure if there were a risk they would see if it was worth it to do one, i have an u/s every four weeks and shes fine.plus if not she could die bc my genetic mutation could cause her placenta to slowly calcify (sp) and cut off nutrition/oxygen. i also like to check into things that are new, ei shots...i refuse to get a new shot bc i dont know the affects bc theyre are plenty of them that have had ill affects. but u/s has been used for awhile.
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Stats show that increased use of ultrasound does not improve out comes. Actually, the opposite.

When people say they want to check to see that the baby is okay... What are they checking for that requires an ultrasound? And what if the baby is not okay? Can it be fixed? Did the ultrasound make it okay or did it just make the mother aware of everything being okay?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:50 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• fewer children are born dead nowadays, so how harmful could it be? if you consider when there was little to no prenatal care many children died before and during child birth bc they had nothing to detect any harm inutero than there must be great benefits.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• oh, and i had several xrays when i was pregnant too, i had no choice bc my kidney's were shutting down and they had to check them with dyes. my son is "fine" and even thriving now, very smart.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010