I dont know how to get rid of a binkie without the screaming...

I live with my in-laws and my daughter has screamed and kept my FIL up all night the few times I have tried taking her binkie away. He has to go to work in the early morning and my husband has to work also. I cant have the screaming but she is 2 and I dont want her to have it anymore. I tried cutting the tip off and saying a mouse got it...she screamed all night for two days about the binkie.

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 8:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just let her keep her comfort until she is emotionally ready to give it up. 2 is not too old to have it. No kid has gone to Kindergarten with one.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• is the living together permanent? If not, like if it's only for another 3-6 months or so I'd say just let her keep it.... it's not worth the family drama.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I have been to cut a little bit of off the end at a time and evetually they will give it up because there wont be much left to suck on.
    HisLove18

Answer by HisLove18 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Why do you need to get rid of it? When she is ready, she will get rid of it. If it's not hurting her, what's the point of making her miserable by removing it?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My daughter turned 4 on May 30th...... her pediatric dentist said the damage is done. She'll need an orthodontist around 3rd grade and multiple sets of braces. She doesn't suck a binkie, but a lovey. .... I wish I'd have thrown it in the river on her 1st b-day.

OP - only thing that comes into my mind as a solution is to LEAVE with your kiddo for 3-5 nights of binkie free sleep, someplace where she CAN scream. A motel, a friends basement, etc....! good luck
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I didn't personally try this, but saw it on the tv show, Super Nanny. She told the child they were going to gather all the binkies and put into a bag and leave them for the binkie fairy to give to other children who needed binkies, and the fairy would leave some sort of thank you present in return. You could try this and leave a gift, something that your child will really like, nothing too expensive though.
    pegleg63

Answer by pegleg63 at 8:26 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• How would her dentist know how her teeth are going to come in, she should still have baby teeth. I sucked nothing and had braces, my friend had a pacifier until she was 6 all day long and never had braces. Don't blame it on the lovey.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• one thing that worked for us (temporarily! til she found a replacement!) was we took our daughter to Target w/ her lovey/binkie object. We told her to pick out ANYTHING SHE WANTED (and then used clever Mommy tricks to guide her towards choices we could actually afford which ended up being a horn and basket for her bike and also a package of Goldfish crackers) and she plopped her lovey on the counter in exchange for the goodies. Daddy helped her put her stuff into a bag and carry it out while I paid human money and made sure the lovely was safely in the trash. This lasted us about 4 weeks, maybe closer to 5.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:29 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Just let her have it. What is the point of torturing everybody in the house, especially HER? She'll give it up when she is ready.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:30 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You can poke a hole in it to let out the air (if its that kind). I've heard of that working for some kids
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 8:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2010