I have a house that I leased to a lady for one year but its been only 9 months and she moved out because she could not afford the house. We were not planning on giving the security deposit but today when she gave the key she just stormed out when I said I am not giving her the deposit. I felt very bad and gave her the deposit. Was this a right decision?

She just told us that she could not afford the house and said she is breaking the lease. We asked her whether she could pay atleast a months rent and she said she could not . I know she is going through some stuff with her Ex husband and some financial problems. Do you guys think I dealt with this correctly?

Vmom79

Asked by Vmom79 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• no. legally she owes you 3 months rent. You should have kept the security so at least you recouped some of the money owed.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:32 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• If it makes you feel better about it then I think that's all that matters. I think you certainly didn't have to give her her security deposit back since she broke her lease, but no one ever said that you can't have compassion on a person. I think it sounds like you did a nice thing.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• You are within your legal rights to keep her deposit and enforce the terms of your lease. What does your contract say about breaking the lease?

That being said, if you feel sorry for her and don't want to charge her, that's your business. Once you gave it back to her, you will never collect it again so what's done is done. i think she took advantage of you but hopefully you won't let it happen next time :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• if you can afford it then i think it is ok. you know she is going though problems and she was honest to you. She could be like my in law's tenents and not pay rent then they have to bring them to court then wait the 30 days so they pretty much get 4 mos free rent out of my in laws. I think you did fine, Just hope they didn't ruin your house :)
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:34 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i would have done whatever the contract that she signed said. you're supposed to be the landlord, not the doormat. i don't mean you have to be mean about it, but i wouldn't be a pushover
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• She owes you the full lease rent, she should have thought about it before she signed the agreement. You didn't have to give anything back to her.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• She paid her rent till august. We asked her if she could atleast pay for a month till we find the next tenant but she said she could not afford it.
    Vmom79

Comment by Vmom79 (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• if you knew she was going through a hard time and not just screwing you over and you could afford it I see nothing wrong with it there is nothing wrong with helping someone out when they are having a hard time. She seemed as though she was honest and she didnt just up and move out and not say anything. I think what you did was a good thing and your are a good person for doing it :)
    jgwilliams

Answer by jgwilliams at 8:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think you did ok. :) you followed your heart, if she was a good tentent you did her a favor, like she did you by paying you every month. Take it from me (who has to deal with in laws apts) you were a nice person who was being fair
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I think that if you agreed to allow her out of her lease and she left the home in good condition and she cleaned it and everything..I would have given her her security deposit back too.
    To me, sometimes good human nature plays a better hand than running strictly everything by the book and the laws. You did a good thing for this woman...good has a way of finding itself coming back around :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010