baby cereal

I started my four month old on cereal tonight? I'm worried that she may be hungry. She is asleep now and has slept through the night for 2 months now. I have her one tablespoon mixed with formula. Then fed her what was left of the 4oz bottle I made. Thinking that she may still be hungry I made another 1oz bottle. She normally would eat 6oz bottles do you think I fed her enough?

MelSwim7

Asked by MelSwim7 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she will let you know if shes hungry
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• cereal should only be for tasting at this age, not to replace an amount of formula or breastmilk. Offer a bottle first, then the cereal
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:39 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Agree with above. Also, at this age, cereals and any other solid food is just for practice, not for nutrition. When my son was this age I didn't count his solids at all when I was keeping track of his food intake.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• when you're first starting them on cereal it's supposed to be just getting them used to eating with a spoon. so you're supposed to feed them the cereal first (just so they start getting the hang of solids), then feed them as you would normally. if they're full they will stop eating. then again i'm talking about bf, so i'm not sure about formula. i would just give the same amount as before i guess, since they don't really eat much cereal in the beginning
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would feed her a normal bottle first, then allow her the cereal. Most importiant is bm or formula right now.
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 8:40 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My son is only two months a like 2 weeks and i had to start putting cereal in his formula cause he wasnt getting enough and i know that he is getting enough now cause he spits the bottle out when he is done or he lets the formula run down his face,...lol.. but if she isnt fussy after feeding her then she is fine.. how many times do you feed her with in the hours???
    AshleyMSpence17

Answer by AshleyMSpence17 at 8:41 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I was only following the directions on the box. It said one tablespoon mixed with formula to a consistancy that you liked and then a four oz bottle
    MelSwim7

Comment by MelSwim7 (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• When she wakes up at nine until she goes to bed around eight I feed her 6oz every 3 hours then a 4oz bottles before bed its about 28 oz everyday give or take
    MelSwim7

Comment by MelSwim7 (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Always give bottle first then only a taste of cereal for trying. In fact, I won't start food until at least 6 months and then only if my baby can sit up and can reach for and eat finger foods. I skip cereal and pureed jars. Cereal is binding and causes constipation and gas. It also takes up room that BM or formula should be taking up.

http://babyledweaning.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby-led_weaning

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I was voted down because I gave info that is true? Wow.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010