Why are we condemned for the choices we make when we are young?

I was just wondering? Because it seems like I have thrown my whole life away because of stupid things I did when I was just a child. I just feel like it's not fair for your whole life to be determined by choices you made when you are 16 and know nothing. Can you really change your life around for the better or is that all just a fairy tale, along with true love and happily every after?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Health

• Of course one can change from choices that were made years ago. The choices you make when you are young may have been the wrong ones yet they make you who you are today. When I was 17 I decided to run away from home, quit school all for a man older than my parents. Let's see...I ended up marrying him at 18, then proceeded to have 2 children, (oh did I mention that my Dad didn't tak to me for 4 years) and I was divorced by the time my youngest was 8 months. I then moved back to my parents- still making bad choices until about 28. Now for the good choices- went to college, discovered A LOT about myself, and finally got a job were within 5 years with a lot of hard work I became the executive v.p. of a credit union. Now at almost 37, I have two teenagers who I adore, a wonderful loving relationship, a job I really enjoy (different one because I moved to NY), a beautiful home, and so much more. I do not regret a thing. :)

candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 5:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• It is never too late to change your life. You knowing you want to is the biggest step to take. Just take the bull by the horns and go for it!!! There are a lot of programs out there to help. Just contact local programs like, Child and Family Services, District Department of Health, and so on. You can do it!! You have a whole lifetime ahead of you.
    susan220

Answer by susan220 at 5:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Yes you can change your life around, we all make stupid mistakes when we are younger but you have to learn from those mistakes and start making better choices.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• If what you did is a child is ruining your whole life now, you are giving it that power. (unless of course you commited a felony or something) When I was 17-19 I was doing all kinds of things that took a while to overcome. Drugs, disobeying my parents, getting kicked out, sleeping around. I could have went to college right out of high school. I always dreamed of being a Dr. since I was little. I threw it all away. I joined the army to get away from everything and my crapy life and ended up being medically discharged in 3 weeks for mental health. I got married at 19. No job skills, nothing. We were broke and I got pregnant at 20. con't....
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• It took a while to overcome a lot of things. Bad (trashed) credit. you name it, I did it. I am now 29. I work full time making good money at an insurance company. I am a medical underwriter. I am also in school full time to be a nurse. I took the long way but I made it. I learned a lot of lessons. Think of it like this. You got to screw up young. Some people screw up in their 50's. Learn from it. Suck it up and rise above. You can still overcome anything you could have done. Good luck!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:19 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I think your past shapes you and helps prepare you for the future. I was an awful teenager...I kept my grades up, but that was about it. I was sneaking out of the house every chance I got, different boyfriend every week, drinking, smoking, pot, anything I could get away with...after high school I moved around the country, as far as I could get away from Michigan basically...lived like crap, bad apartments, never working more than I had to, going out a lot, drugs and smoking. I tell you what though...it got old to me. I came to the point where I wanted to settle down, got a decent place in Michigan, got a good job, started college, had my daughter...I don't wonder what it would be like to do whatever I want...think I covered that! Its all out of my system now and thank god my family doesn't hold it against me!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• We ALL make mistakes while young...and absolutely, you can get past them if you work at it. HOWEVER, there are also consequences to all bad decisions, and we cannot change that. We all have to work hard to get past our mistakes!
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 8:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• You sound so much like me it is spooky....Yes you can change your life. Just make different choices. Although, if you are now attached to a deadbeat ex because you have children with him....sorry. This is one of those things that you can't change.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• every choice that we make every single day from the moment we wake up affects our lives.Yes,we can make a change for the better.It's all how we deal with those choices,we can learn from our bad choices or we can go down the same road over and over again.
    Fairlight79

Answer by Fairlight79 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• You can change regardless of your age and what you did. If people are telling you negative things it may be considered emotional abuse. You have to rise above it, and be strong, move on. I suggest education, a job, and setting goals for your future. Best Wishes.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 11, 2008