7 yr old daughter who has seizures at night

I am a single mother of 2. I have two wonderful children 5 & 7. My daughter (7) has seizures only at night. Shes been being treated for them since she was about a yr half, so they are nothing new. Tried many different meds with her, but none seem to fully control them. She can go anywhere from once or more a week to couple months til she has her next seizure. They always seemed to be sleep related, never happend anyother time. She has had an eeg. But dont feel like that give me any answers other than what I already knw. She has always slept with me because Im afraid to leave her alone incase she does has one. I have a rectal distat to give to her incase she where to go into a seizure, I can then treat her & bring her out of the siezure. I guess Im looking for advice on sleeping arrangement or any advice from other parents with similar situations.

jamcgillivray

Asked by jamcgillivray at 8:45 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Health

• If she needs diastat then she need to sleep with you OR maybe there's like an alarm system. I'm assuming her seizure last for over 3 min. and she can't come out on her own?

Seizures that come only/mostly when asleep are not that uncommon.

I hope they are able to find a good med for her soon.
    HUG mom.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Is your room large enough for a twin bed for her. That way you have some space of your own, physically, but are close by for when she has a seizure.

My son has epilepsy but it is well controlled on keppra and only had them during the day. I also have the diastat and have yet to use it as his seizures are usually only 2-3 minutes.

I know that DS's neurologist/his office is really open to calling with questions, no matter how inane I think it is.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:49 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Have they done a sleep study? She may be having a lack of oxygen at night which is causing the brain to shut down and cause the seizures. I work for a company that sells CPAP and BiPAP's which help to provide oxygen to the brain during sleep.

Here is a little bit of information about it but a sleep technician could really tell you a lot more. :)

https://health.google.com/health/ref/Obstructive+sleep+apnea
    http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-apnea/default.htm

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:58 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• my little one has low salt seizures (kidney kid)....two at night, so I feel you totally. Might you want a seizure dog? I have heard about them. My little guy has done a laugh in his sleep before his came on which woke me. My guy doesn't pickup a breathing pattern for almost 20 mins...every seizure has been 911 call and the night in hospital (he mostly has them in the heat...I have to air out a hot car before putting him in...car seat seizures suck).

I sleep him in the room next to me~but he is on a feeding pump at night just to put salts back in him (dumps them daily) and if that alarms and I don't wake the dog paws my bed...but she isn't a seizure dog....she just did that cause it bugs her so much ( I have two kids on night feeding pumps~I can tune those out~I wake at every cough though).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 8:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• How about a seizure dog? Then she could sleep in her own bed in her own room. After all, she can't sleep with your forever, as you are both going to be wanting your independence eventually. There are programs available to help you to finance the cost of the dog, plus you can hold fundraisers and/or you could try for a grant from a local service group (Lions, Rotary Club, etc.).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear that its really sad that they still don't know what causes her to have the seizures in the first place, but i must say the seizure dog (had no idea that there are seizure dogs) is a great great idea!!!!!
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the Answers! She currently sleeps with me, which I dont mind at all, But Im more concerned about when she gets older & wants to be in her own room, or have sleep over at friends place. I've currently considered a seizure dog. Unforutely we already have a dog im unsure how to go about getting him trained if thats even possible.She has had a sleep study done. ( A 72 hour EEg) which she had a seizure the last night there. But it doesnt really comfirm anything other than what we already know. As for the monitoring device. I have talked to both her doc & neourologist about that several times. But they dont recommend them since they can be unrelable. I bought a baby monitor with the camera, but seldom use it. I only use it when Im not in the room. But would never trust it enough to leave her over night by herself. I guess im wonder what other parent with the same or simialar situation, what they do.
    jamcgillivray

Comment by jamcgillivray (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Sep. 8, 2010