When does genetics for how tall you'll be or what weight is normal for your child REALLY start showing up?

3 out of 4 of my nieces and nephews are obviously overweight. The 3 yr old is 65 lbs,the 5 yr old is 70,and the 8 yr old is 80. Their mothers claim they are just tall or they say their a bigger build of child. According to the charts,they are WAY up there close to being off the charts. I see this trend in so many kids these days. The parents blow off the obvious fact that their kid's health is in serious danger. So,to my original question,isn't it at puberty when you start seeing the build the child will have that is normal for them? I was under the impression that it was. Correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• We were told by my DD's scoliosis Doctor that girls reach their full height usually 2 years after they get their period. Not sure if that was the answer you were looking for, but I thought it was rather interesting.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:15 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I don't know. My brother was 5'7" at age 17. His dad was over 6' and had resigned himself to the fact that his son was going to take after his mother's family. A little over a year later, he was 7 inches taller. Sometimes, it's a bit after puberty.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My 14y/o is 5'3" and 89lbs. LOL We are still waiting.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• My son's pediatrician told him he would be 6'1 by 21. He is now 5'10'' and is 14 . There is a way of figuring it out but he will not tell us.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• They are supposed to be double their height at age 2. But, I don't believe that is true.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:11 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i was given an estimate for my oldest's "full size" when she was 3... from her ped... not sure how accurate it will be, since she's now a whopping 3 and a half... but it was very similar to my height and weight...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:28 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• IDK...3/5 of my children have been above the 90th percentile since birth. They were big babies, big at 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 3 years, 6 yrs, 9 yrs....the trend just continues.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 9:38 PM on Aug. 30, 2010