I can't seem to get my 5 week old to sleep without me.

It seems my 5 week old only wants to sleep with me, on my chest or beside me. I have tried following others advise, like leaving him in his bassinet and allowing him to cry himself to sleep but he continues to cry, and doesn't sleep thru the night. If I have him with me he sleeps for a good amount of time. Is it true that I have spoiled him? If I have how can I fix the problem before I have to go to work and leave him with the babysitter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't really believe you can "spoil" a 5 week old...too young to grasp the concept of manipulation. You might try one of those heartbeat cradle things...been too long to remember exactly what they are called...but you can google it. You place the baby in it and it cradles him and makes a sound that imitates a heartbeat. I have also heard of using a ticking clock- not in the bed, but where he can hear it. Might help.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I used CIO but at 5 weeks old that is WAY TOOOOO YOUNG. Enjoy your baby, let him sleep on you. Start practicing CIO around 4-6 months. At 5 weeks that baby NEEDS you
    peachay05

Answer by peachay05 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• oh and dont expect him to be sleeping thru the night for a while. My dd didnt sleep thru the night till 8 months
    peachay05

Answer by peachay05 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I had the same problem! I thought I would never get a good night sleep again! I finally got desperate and put him in the swing and he slept all night! It was GREAT!! I felt like a new person!! That is the only place I could get him to sleep for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time for the first 5 months! It was a little wierd, but it worked! And I was a better mother when I had a goodnights sleep! It's not the perfect solution, but you do what you have to do for your own sanity! lol
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2008