what is the average age to start training boys to potty train?

my son is 17 months old. does the pee-pee dance and i know when he's going poo, but even through he is used to sitting on potty when i put him on it so go when he's showing signs he stops or doesn't want to sit on it at all. any advise?

dawninmanch

Asked by dawninmanch at 6:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• about 2 or 2 1/2, they should get the concept down, and know when they have to go, with help of course.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• When they show that they are ready. Once a child turns 2 I would set the potty out where they can see it and once a day I would encourage them to sit on it. Once you can get them to sit on it then try getting them to sit on it with a bare bottom. Give praise or a small reward each time they use the potty. With some children you can tell when they are getting ready to make a bowel movement or they will ask for their diaper to be changed as soon as it is wet or dirty. These are good signs that they are ready.
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I waited a little bit longer with my son, he was a little bit closer to 3. I waited until he started showing interest in the potty, he would come in and sit on the potty chair while I was going potty. He also started becoming interested in underpants. We started talking about how he could wear them when he started going in the potty. We bought a package of undies (Lightning McQueen!) and I would let him wear them around the house. It didn't take him long to catch on.
    mirandaandkbcc

Answer by mirandaandkbcc at 11:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Just let him get used to sitting on the potty for now. Learn his "potty indicators". Get him a his own little potty seat, let him explore it, sit on it, talk to him about it. Let him see you or DH go to the bathroom ( if you're comfortable with that). He is showing signs of readiness, but I wouldn't push the issue now. If he's not ready, he will become resisitant to it.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 1:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• From my experience it closer to 3. But if he is show most of the signs of being ready then try it. If you don't have much success after a week the wait a little while longer. When he is truly ready it will be alot easier. Don't rush it!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My doctor told me it was not alway's good for little boy's to be potty trained early. My husband and I take him with us to the potty when we go and let him flush, but he shows no signs at all of when he goes, or needs to. My Dr told me to wait, boys are harder .
    I will get the potty out and let him see it. I thought that was a great idea! I do catch slack from inlaws he isn't potty trained but my sister who has a degree in child care told me the same as the Dr, so we aren't pushing it. ( he is 2 1/2) one day he will want to and I am ready..potty and all.
    Good luck!
    Dawn
    FiresHereNow

Answer by FiresHereNow at 9:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• What I learned is to not try to start potty training when he is learning something new... it is frustrating for both of you. I tried to start when Samuel was learning to run. It was torture to him to sit on the potty chair for 2 seconds.
    Keep encouraging him and praising him when he shows he has to go. It will help him to recognize the signs sooner. Only you will know when your child is ready. Some are ready before 18 months, some aren't ready til they are 4 or more.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2008