my ex and birth certificate

my ex isnt my sons father...he wont take his name off the birth certificate and let my fiance put his name on and adopt him...what should i do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• petition for a paternity test
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I would speak to a lawyer...maybe you can ask for a paternity test from the state and see if they can remove his name when they determine he isn't the father...
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Does the ex have a relationship with your child? Is he paying child support? Has he taken his accepted responsibility fully?
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 9:21 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Your ex is the legal father if he is on the birth certificate. He doesn't have to give up his rights if he doesn't want to. You can get support from him. Not a good idea to let new guy adopt. He would then have as much right to your child as you have and if you break up he chould get custody. This kid already has a legal dad, a bio dad, and a soon to be step dad and now you are considering giving him an adoptive dad.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:24 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Even if your fiance were to adopt him he still couldn't put his name on the birth certificate. The birth certificate is for the bio dad (whether you're with him or not) or your husband (at the time when you had the child). Even if your husband is not the father his name still goes on the birth certificate.......the law says that your husband is automatically the father.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:33 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I agree 100% with Gailll- That is Too Many Changes; i would not change it, he sounds like he really wants to be in your son's life!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:03 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• colethky- I dont think that is right. I knew of a girl who was married, had an affair, and gave birth to the other mans baby. The bio dad wanted nothing to do with her, and she was still legally married to her now ex husband, and the "law" doesnt state he is automatically the father. So im not sure if thats just the law where you live, but its not true everywhere.
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 12:42 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• He doesn't have to give up his rights if he doesn't want to. You can get support from him.

No, she can't.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:24 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

You must not know a lot about adoption. When some one adopts a child the child gets an ammended BC with the adoptive parents name(s) on it. My son has my name on his BC even though I am not his BM and my older son has my husband's name on his BC even though my husband isn't his BF.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:26 AM on Aug. 31, 2010

• As for the OQ: You and your fiancee will have to petition the court for your him to adopt your son, talk to an attorney because all of this will be up to a judge. If your ex is in the child's life and has a relationship or HAD a relationship before you separated then he can get visitation.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2010