SIDS

My DD just turned 4 months. Well, for the past 2 night i have put her in her crib on her back (like i always have) and she rolls on her stomach and sleeps that way. Studies show that youre not supposed tp use those position side things..and she would probably find a way out of that anyways, she moves around alot! So my question is, do any of you have babies this young that are sleeping like this, and what can i do about it? Im really terrified of SIDS...

MommyOfTwo720

Asked by MommyOfTwo720 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always was too.....remember smoking increases SIDS risks...so dont do that (if you do)

I have always heard that once they roll over its ok b/c they have the ability to move it they need to.......blankets covering them is also a scary part of that......so I always put my little ones in the zip up sleep blankets so I knew they wouldnt cover their face.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• if your baby can move her head from side to side while on her stomach i would not worry at all.
    peachay05

Answer by peachay05 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• DARLING I WAS TAUGHT BY A PARENT EDUCATOR ALONG TIME AGO THAT BY THE TIME YOU CHILD IS OLD ENOUGH TO ROLL OVER THE RISK OF SIDS IS LIMITED. ONCE YOUR CHILD CAN ROLL THEY WILL ROLL AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT CAUSES THEM A HARD TIME BREATHNG. IT IS A SURVIVAL TECHNIQUE WHICH IS HARDWIRED INTO OUR MINDS.
    friends4me

Answer by friends4me at 9:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I wouldn't worry I always read and was told once they can roll over on their own they are fine. Remove all crib bumpers, they are a major danger though, and if your really concerned try placing a fan in her room, studies show that it helps to decrease SIDS.
    jabakasupergirl

Answer by jabakasupergirl at 9:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Because she can roll over and move her head from side to side, i wouldnt worry about it. if you are concerned, they have monitors for that. you place a motion sensor underneath the mattress and and it can sense if she is breathing, if for any reason she stops breathing, an alarm will sound, scarring her (hopefully into breathing) and alerting you to check on her.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:13 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• i too went through exactly the same thing. My son is now 5 1/2 months old now. He is so stong and is always determined to end up on his stomach. So what we did was i would put him in a baby hammock and then he found out how to roll in that , so then he ended up in our bed b/c i was terriefied of not being near him if he was on his tummy in his crib. I would always nurse him to sleep so he would pass out on his side and sleep like that until he was hungry again. Now im not too worried about it b/c i feel okay about how he is sleeping. You will know what i mean when you feel it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about it too much.. if she can roll over, then she should be fine.
    However, I know how hard it is "not to worry" lol
    My DS loved to sleep on his stomach.. so I splurged and bought an Angel Care Monitor. It has a motion sensor pad that you put under their matress in their crib, and it detects their breathing. If it doesn't detect anything for 15 seconds the alarm will sound.
    I had great piece of my mind after buying that. Few false alarms b/c he loved to scoot all the way into the corner, and I would go in there and move him back.
    auntb2005

Answer by auntb2005 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• JMO, but most of our parents put us to sleep on our stomachs, and most of our grandparents did it to our parents...obviously we made it ok, so I think it will be ok if a baby chooses to sleep like that. I have put my DD down like that before, and she's 2 1/2 now, healthy as a horse.
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 11:52 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Something that put my mind at ease was the Angelcare monitor, it's kind of expensive, but it's work it for a good nights sleep! It alarms if it detects no movement for 20 seconds.. we have never had a false alarm. You aren't able to use a ceiling fan in the room though.. the air movment is that sensitive!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Hi mama - if baby can move around and flip over - should be no problems - it is with babies that cannot turn over where SIDS is a problem...
    ashwinsmommy

Answer by ashwinsmommy at 6:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2008