Castor Oil and why is it harmful?

Alot of people in the past have used this to induce labor. Some people say it works. Some people say it doesn't, but the new thing Ive been seeing all over the internet is that it is bad for the baby. I want to know why is it bad for the baby? What can happen to the baby? What are the risks in drinking this stuff?

AngelEyva

Asked by AngelEyva at 9:47 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It causes you to have explosive diarrhea. Dehydration. Electolyte unbalance.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm not sure what can happen to the baby. My friend did it and she got a really bad upset stomach and the runs for a few days... She never went into labor from it.... She ended up being induced cause she was 6 days late.
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 9:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It dehydrates you. It doesn't ALWAYS work but when it does, it's basically the baby trying to get to a kinder environment. It's kinda like evicting the baby. Better to let the baby decide when to come.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I tried it twice in my first 2 pregnancies and it never worked. It did cause me to have extreme diarrhea.

It can also lead to babies have meconium(sp?) in the fluid. That can be dangerous to the baby!
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 9:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I used castor oil with my first child. I knew that I was in labor but they sent me home. I took 1 teaspoon full of castor oil and about 5 hours later my water broke and I had my daughter. She was healthy and so was I. I know it's an old wive's tale, but it worked for me. My sister was in labor for 2 weeks and wouldn't use it. I would have used it the second time, but didn't need it. Good luck.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 9:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• all it does is give you horible diarhea. it never worked for me. just made me crap like crazy for hours and hours.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 9:55 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It can also cause distress in the baby and cause the baby to poop in utero, which is extremely harmful to the baby
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I used it. I had it in my system for about am hour and half. I only took it because my midwives told me too and my water had broken but it was just a high leak not a big gush. I took it at 3:30pm when I was just cramping then at 4pm my contractions were 4 mins apart. At 4:30pm we called the ambulance and they arrived around 5:15pm right before they got there I thre it all up from my nerves going crazy. Never got diahrrea.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Thank you everyone for the feed back. I am on the fence about using it. With my first child use it and it tasted so nasty but he was here the next day I believe. My water broke after a hot shower. I havent had to use it since but this baby (#3) is being stubborn!
    AngelEyva

Comment by AngelEyva (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Aug. 31, 2010