how can i make my daughter learn how to do her math easier

she in the 3 grade this year and has a hard time learning and doing here math work if any one has any ideas please let me know

Ms.Ro3

Asked by Ms.Ro3 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try flashcards and those math books. You can get them at the dollar store, walmart, target, kmart...
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 9:52 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• look into kumon, it's a japenese tutoring program, she's going to hate it, but it will definatly improve her math skills
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 9:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• try a tutor if you can.
    good job for wanting to help now!
    make sure she really gets the basics, addition, subtraction, multiplication and soon division.
    use flash cards at breakfast and dinner.
    talk to her teacher too.
    good job mom!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• i owuld ask her teacher for suggestions on what you can do at home to make it easier on her.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 9:53 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I was always very good in math, so when my daughter had problems I didn't know how to help her. My mom stepped in and helped and she had an excellent teacher. With those two things and tutoring, she now has no problems in is in pre-ap clases as a sophomore in high school. I wish you all the best.
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 9:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Does your daughter use the computer? Here are some great sites:
    Coolmath-games.com
    Funbrain.com
    Mathplayground.com (currently offline but is suppose to be back up and running soon)
    PrimaryGames.com
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• make it fun- turn it into a game and she won't even know she's practicing- try a teacher store in your area
    the learning shop or reallygoodstuff.com
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• It's "How do I HELP make math easier for my daughter" rather then "How do I make her do her math better" To me there's a huge difference in the way those are stated. But I will stop being anal and I will answer your question. Every child has a way of retaining information that's unique to them. I found singing multiplication tables was easier for me to remember then saying them. I don't learn well from a book at all, because I am more of a hands on learner. Your daughter might be different or the same, but it's important to key in how she learns information. Sometimes making it into a craft, using visual aids, or even just using something as simple as a dry erase or chalk board can help. A lot of reasons children have trouble retaining information is because it bores them. Try to spice it up and make it into something she'll enjoy and maybe that might be your ticket to the information sticking.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:23 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Many homeschoolers use the program Math-U-See with great success. You may want to try that.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Math was not my strong subject. In High School I learned a very important thing about myself. Math = banging head on brick wall. Science - Chemistry in particular - awesome! Much of the work I couldn't wrap my brain around in math classes WAS an important component of Chemistry. It made sense when I could see the application. When someone made it tangible (for me in Chem it was lab work and dicussions of lab work) I got it.

You want to help your daughter learn a subject that's been tough for her? Go light on flashcards and drills. they have a place. Multiplication and Division, after all, is about memorizing the tables. BUT, find a way to make math real for her. Don't just talk about multiplying. Take a recipe for her favorite meal or snack. Tell you're going to double it or triple it and ask her what you need to do to figure out how much to put in of each. Find real life applications and teach through them.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:08 PM on Aug. 30, 2010