Boston Legal makes for great questions... Same Sex Marriage Question...

If you support Gay marriage, would you support marriage between two same sex persons who were NOT Gay?

People get married for any number of reasons, not always love or sex. In fact my Aunt and Uncle got married solely for medical and legal reasons - they didn't even live together...

So would you support same sex marriage if they weren't homosexual?
Why or Why Not?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:57 PM on Aug. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• no because I think it is abusing the system.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 10:00 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I agree with HTMommy that's with bot straight and homosexual couples
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Yep. I support marriage as long as the people involved are consenting legal adults.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:02 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• So if you don't support it simply because you feel they would be "abusing" the system, does that mean that those who are straight and marry for reasons other than love shouldn't be allowed?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

Yes
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• I'm probably gonna be lambasted for this, but here goes. Am I Christian, yes. For me personally, sex and marriage should be between one man and one woman. With that said, when Jesus was asked what the most important commandment was he said 'To love your neighbors as yourselves'. To me that means treat others as you would like to be treated. Which I also combine with the parable that ends with 'He who is without sin, may cast the first stone.' So, I would like people to let me live my life my way if I'm not hurting anyone else. And further, I am a sinner so I have no business judging anyone else. I will leave it up to God. Now people are going to bring up judging murders and the such and shouldn't they be judged on earth for safety. Yes they should. But to me when someone is not hurting me or anyone else, but going against God, well, then let God take care of them. He'll do a much better job than I will.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Man Van.....I like that :)
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• Your Aunt and Uncle got married? I didn't think relatives could marry. Or were they not blood relatives?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• She wasn't my Aunt til AFTER they got married... lol... They weren't relatives, but I have always known them as Aunt and Uncle... Sorry for the confusion...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Aug. 30, 2010

• The BL example is tricky, though. They didn't feel romantic love, but they still loved each other like brothers, and the marriage was specifically so the one would be able to handle all the medical/legal wishes of the other. It's not like you could say they had no affection, so that brings the question - is there supposed to be some kind of love test? Should it be like old times where a bunch of old ladies have to watch the consummation of a marriage and/or collect the "evidence" of the lost virginity for it to be legal?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010