3 epidurals?

i had to get 3 epidurals with my first delivery. the first sent a shocking pain down my right left... the second didn't ever take so i felt everything till 9cm... then right when i was getting ready to push they finally got the 3rd in right. Is this just a flook or am i likely to have more problems with epidurals again? has anyone else had problems with it during labor?

Ambreelulu

Asked by Ambreelulu at 4:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Could've been a fluke. My first one fell out half way thru labor and had to be re-inserted. I went on and had three more kids all epi's ( yeah, don't bash mamas it was necessary and I KNOW the risks) If you go for another epidural get demerol first to take the edge off. The last three I had no problems with.
    Anonymous

• Honestly I would just not do the epidural. I went natural with my daughter and let me tell you, it was amazing. Oh yeah, it was hard. But the feeling I had after was so wonderful! Epidurals are NOT safe for the baby. They can cause respiratory problems and can slow labor leading to complications. I just don't trust them.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 4:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• a fluke? i doubt it. more than likely it was an incompetent anesteziologist. (i know. my spelling suck.) i have heard one whole horror story about them. i've done it with and without. and despite all the bs you hear about drugs...i remember giving birth to my daughter with it. i remember a blur of things that are all jumbled and disconnected giving birth to my son without it.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Personally, I would research alternatives to managing labor pain and read up on epidural complications, risks, side effects, etc. Many women have problems with epidurals. Look into it, see what you find, and make a decision. I've had 1 epidural birth and 2 natural births since then.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 3:15 AM on Jul. 1, 2008